What Would You Think Of A Vet Who Said This?

Loving my Oldies

I could imagine a lot of vets I've had saying it, but not in the context that your neighbour did!

For example if I said my dog would sell her soul for BBQ chicken. I think if said in the right manner and with a chuckle, it could be an appropriate comment back.

[/quote

As above.

Your neighbour is just stupid & probably didn't say it with malicious intent. Not what you needed to hear as you will be feeling sensitive.

I obviously need to explain myself a little more. When I said that I'd investigate further, I didn't mean whether the refusal of BBQ chicken was a death sentence or scientifically researched LOL. I meant that I would try to extract from my neighbour when it was said, why it was said, context, etc etc because it didn't cross my mind for a second that the man was being a buffoon, unsympathetic or whatever. It was just something he was saying to me.

The fact that Danny has refused BBQ chicken did not throw me into a further panic because he is refusing just about everything and we are off to the vet in an hour's time.

VizslaMomma, you are spot on. I think a lot of men were behind the door when tact was given out. The brightest of minds can be tactless.

I obviously need to explain myself a little more. When I said that I'd investigate further, I didn't mean whether the refusal of BBQ chicken was a death sentence or scientifically researched LOL. I meant that I would try to extract from my neighbour when it was said, why it was said, context, etc etc because it didn't cross my mind for a second that the man was being a buffoon, unsympathetic or whatever. It was just something he was saying to me.

The fact that Danny has refused BBQ chicken did not throw me into a further panic because he is refusing just about everything and we are off to the vet in an hour's time.

VizslaMomma, you are spot on. I think a lot of men were behind the door when tact was given out. The brightest of minds can be tactless

Why bother asking just move on & worry about your own dog & enjoying life .

Why bother asking just move on & worry about your own dog & enjoying life .

The reactions here to the chap's comment have made me curious and interested, that's all.

:shrug: If we don't get interested in the whys and wherefores not much point really. I am not stressing or worried or upset. Just curious. :) :)

Anyway, I related it all to my vet this morning and he laughed/grimaced in a sort of resigned and "what can you do" way and said that there are a lot of those sorts of comments around. He told me that Harry Cooper was one of his lecturers who taught that once a bird is on the floor of its cage that's it. When you have lecturers who say those sorts of things what can you expect? (And, yes, I reckon and have always done so, that HC is a fool and my vet doesn't disagree :laugh: :laugh: )

Also some vets are super tactless, even good ones. My local vet once asked a friend of mine why they were bothering to vaccinate their 15 year old dog, as he did not think she had another three years to go. He caught sight of their faces and started back pedalling like mad, same guy rolled his eyes and said "Oh great a Shar Pei " When I took Issy to him, I had to stay because it was urgent but never, ever went back. Lots of people rave about him though and I know he is really highly thought of and generally considered a very good vet. I suspect he sometimes thinks out loud.............

Edited to add I hope Danny is ok DDD, he has had a rough trot.

Edited by coogie

The brightest of minds can be tactless

Ah the difference between academic intelligence - required to complete a vet science degree and

emotional intelligence - required to keep patients and owners calm and informed...

Not often they go together.

I suspect the more academically intelligent a person is - the more likely they are to think that tact, manners, etc are unimportant or just not make the effort (cos it would be an effort for them) to frame stuff in a more emotionally acceptable way. And sometimes despite their best intentions and effort to say the right thing - they will still get it wrong.

Like "a fish called wanda"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095159/quotes?item=qt0320193

The man said that his vet told him that if a dog refuses BBQ chicken, go home and dig a hole.

I'd have said that maybe the vet meant to dig a hole for the BBQ chicken. :) Some dogs can be great sniffers of food they then judge to be 'off'.

Seriously, not a tactful or useful thing for your neighbour to say to you

at all.

Edited by mita