The Flatulence Thread Or...

Loveable Ernie is sitting at my feet, ffffting away and my eyes are tearing. I'm hoping someone here can help.

He gets plenty of exercise (1 hour walk plus play)

He eats healthily (I think)

He gets Canidae Grain Free with sardines 1x a week, a chicken carcass 1x a week, chicken necks (3) 3x a week, a brisket bone 1x a week, and on Sundays - just plain kibble.

His training treats are chicken/beef/roo jerky in tiny morsels. In the interests of full disclosure, his high value treat when I'm teaching something new is (cringe) cheese Twisties in tiny bits. I'm phasing out food rewards so really, I dont have to reduce his diet much. He's lean and fit.

He has the most amazing farts, to crudely put it. He can reduce grown men to tears and children to run screaming.

I've had him checked out by the vet who couldn't find any issues and suggested a go slow bowl, which he uses. He hunts for his kibble in the morning.

His bowel movements are normal and nothing weird.

Can anyone here recommend anything to either tone down the stench or to eliminate the foul green miasma that permeates our home?

Charcoal tablets? Probiotics? A rubber stopper? :D

Old dog used to be extremely flatulent and always was. She had to eat a very low fat kibble for most of her life due to some medical issues and it made it soooo much worse. I once switched her to a mostly fresh diet when she was recovering from surgery and the farting miraculously stopped...or at least was reduced to a more socially acceptable level. She still could clear a room, but the farts weren't quite so frequent..or audible! Maybe Ernie's just a farter? Maybe a peg and goggles would help? :)

It's funny because Daisy would let go a ripper and we were so used to it we'd rarely even comment, but any guests would be horrified!

Small dog is a different breed and only really seems to fart on supermarket grade dry food, which he loves. On better quality kibble he's fart free, but he is a bit "meh" about the taste. We have decided that our need for a methane free environment trumps his desire for junk food.

When we had Dozer on the canidae fish he was rotten. He'd clear the house in less than 5 seconds.

Now he's pretty good for farts on black Hawk, but his coat condition has gone to poop..

That being said, occasionally he'll be given eggs, milk kibble and a roo bone by the OH and then he's back to clearing rooms...

Elsie stopped farting when I started raw feeding, my flatmates have banned me from ever feeding kibble again as every kibble she had made her fart soooooo badly. She is such a sweet dog, but the smells that came from her!!!!! :mad

Elsie stopped farting when I started raw feeding, my flatmates have banned me from ever feeding kibble again as every kibble she had made her fart soooooo badly. She is such a sweet dog, but the smells that came from her!!!!! :mad

I can honestly say I have never had a 'windy' dog....and I have fed exclusively raw for 25 plus years :thumbsup:

HaHaHa!

Reminds be of the Heart Dog, Gabor.

He would 'do' these mind numbing farts. Lift up his own head & smell himeself.

Then race out of the room to the back yard. He would stand in a corner with a look of horror on his face..... 'did I do that????' type look.

First bowel movement after such episodes caused more amazement. He found it hard to fathom how he could have produced such evilness.

Usually it meant he had acquired things that should never have gone into his mouth.

Ah the good old days....

:rofl:

HaHaHa!

Reminds be of the Heart Dog, Gabor.

He would 'do' these mind numbing farts. Lift up his own head & smell himeself.

Then race out of the room to the back yard. He would stand in a corner with a look of horror on his face..... 'did I do that????' type look.

First bowel movement after such episodes caused more amazement. He found it hard to fathom how he could have produced such evilness.

Usually it meant he had acquired things that should never have gone into his mouth.

Ah the good old days....

:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Huskies are know for ripping out rank ones, but Ronin is pretty good, he is on fully raw and probiotics so there is seldom a ripper. Having said that, when he had 400g of crocodile fillet for his birthday dinner he let off a couple that caused the wallpaper to peel off :laugh:

Lol this is a pretty funny thread!

I've had problems with this with some of our dogs. I had one girl on Canidae grain free (Pure Elements) and it was a disaster - when I changed her back to Canidae All Life Stages the stenchy farting 99% stopped. I suppose all those legumes do have a reputation for that kind of thing :laugh:

Another girl is on raw and it's fine apart from the sardine based meals or any dairy like yoghurt. Or eggs. A boy I had recently couldn't handle raw at all - he would not only clear the whole house constantly but also have nasty diarrhoea too. Maybe try some other dry foods - could be worth a shot?

I'd love to put Ernie in raw but as I'm doing chemotherapy and I'm immuno comprised - my oncologist would strongly prefer I didn't handle raw meat; tripe; etc.

Gonna hook at yoghurt, probiotics, charcoal biscuits and switch from Grain Free to All Stages. One at a time, of course.

If that doesn't work, I'll try phasing out his 'extras' or issue gas masks.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Huskies are know for ripping out rank ones, but Ronin is pretty good, he is on fully raw and probiotics so there is seldom a ripper. Having said that, when he had 400g of crocodile fillet for his birthday dinner he let off a couple that caused the wallpaper to peel off :laugh:

Dear Dog!!!!!!!!! Dear Dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!