Transporting Dogs And Cats From Paralysis Tick Areas

Kirislin

When I moved my 2 horses from Qld to NSW and eventually back to Vic there was a fairly involved, and expensive procedure to get them sprayed for cattle ticks so they dont bring them to areas that dont currently have them. I've heard recently of dogs being brought back down South to areas that dont currently have paralysis ticks and they were infected with them. It made me wonder, are any precautions taken to stop the spread of them on cats and dogs, and any other livestock for that matter the way the authorities do for the cattle tick?

How do they police it though if someone just puts their dog in the car and starts driving, which come to think of it, is exactly what I did with my whippets when I brought them back to Vic at the same time I brought the horses back. Thankfully they didn't have ticks on them, but it never occurred to me to tell anyone, and no one asked.

I've driven up to Queensland and NSW and back several times with the dogs - treated them and checked them myself when they're in tick areas, but never been stopped.

We did have to stop at a quarantine checkpoint going across the Nullarbor, but the only specific check we've had for dogs is going back into Tasmania - the dogs have to be treated for hydatid tapeworms.