Smelly Vacuum Cleaner...

Sail_Away

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a vacuum cleaner that doesn't smell like dog every time it's used?? Is this possible? In the past I've had Dyson and now a Miele and both stink when I start using them. I've tried putting essential oil on a cotton ball and placing in the bag which masks the smell temporarily and of course cleaning the filters and changing bags regularly... Most of the house is hard flooring... I have x1 Hungarian Vizsla in the house and she actually has very little doggy odour and sheds minimally, so I can't believe the smell that comes out of the vacuum!

Just wondering if there was a particular model/brand that doesn't have this issue? What is the advantage of the 'Dog & Cat' specific vacuums? confused.gif

I have the Cat Dog Miele vacuum and honestly don't notice any smell with two Labradors, Pointer and Belgian Shepherd.

We get LOTS of Lab hair in the house. They are only allowed on the hard floors.

eta - I'm pretty lazy with changing the filters on my Miele too.

Edited by english.ivy

Have you changed all your filters? That can help. You can also get little smelly sachets for the bag, I'd say time to replace ALL the filters.

Clean the filters and then dab them with Lavender Essential Oil. Use only the real mccoy, not cheapies. A little bottle might cost anything up to $20 but it will last a long time ...... and the smell is divine.

As for that, you can use whatever perfume gives you pleasure, but the only one I like is Lavender. :) The scent of lavender wafting through the house makes me feel good.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

I have a bag less dyson at home and it doesn't smell compared to how my previous meile bag ones did. The meile stunk!

At the salon where I suck up approx 2 garbage bags of hair a day, I use my beloved karcher wet n dry shop vac. I use it bag less so just suck up the hair into the big metal drum, and tip the drum into the wheelie bin a couple of times a day. It needs virtually no maintenance. I bang out the sturdy filter once a week and wash the filter a couple of times a year, and replace the filter every year or so. This is a hard working shop vac sucking up enormous quantities of clean, dirty and occasionally wet, dog hair, and it never smells. Not the most traditional home vacuum but for hard floors especially, it's ace!

Mine smells if I reuse the bag next time I vacuum. I have a Miele cat and dog and change the bag after each vacuum. I have two Cavaliers that shed their long hair like crazy so the bag is always half full when I finish vacuuming. I also have a stick vacuum cleaner and that's even worse for dog smell and it's bagless. Strangely the dogs don't smell doggy. Even the soft mats in their crates don't smell doggy.

Maybe I need to look at changing the bags each time... shame because there isn't much dog hair around the house & what's there is short fine hairs... I will look at changing the filters too rather than just cleaning. I was thinking it had something to do with vacuum cleaners with bags.. then I read the 'cat & dog' ones have a 'charcoal' filter? Just can't get over how strong the smell is that comes from the vacuum, makes me not want to use it!eek1.gif