Kids Taunting Dog

Jemmy

If you caught/discovered children barking at your dog (while it's in its own yard) to try and stir it up, what would you do? Would you try and track down their parents, or hope that the fright of getting caught will deter them in the future?

If you caught/discovered children barking at your dog (while it's in its own yard) to try and stir it up, what would you do? Would you try and track down their parents, or hope that the fright of getting caught will deter them in the future?

Both.

I do not counternance bullying of animals by ankle biters.

:mad

when we had that happen mum just followed them home and spoke with parents .The kids lost the privelage of a short cut to school until set period and if they did it again big trouble ,mum was polite but to the point ,if you can video then i would

When I was a child we had teenage boys constantly cutting to a tram stop through a laneway behind our home. We had cyclone fencing with hedges. They thought it was great fun to try and throw stones through the fence and hit the dog, my red heeler. They also barked at him and yelled at him.

Cut to 18mths later and the dog was so fearfully aggressive to people, especially males, outside the home that he was very dangerous. We tried to talk to the kids. We tried to rehab the dog. However we euthed him at 5yrs old. Way to young. We just couldn't trust him and he was starting to escape, in any case he was so anxious and fearful that he wasn't happy.

So do whatever you can to stop them making your dog fearful. I've never forgiven myself and I know it was one of the hardest decisions my dad made, putting down a dog that was so bonded to and gentle with his children. Rip Barry.

Try to talk to them and tell them Barrie's story in mackiemad's post, and if they keep doing it say you will go to their parents. If that doesn't work go to the parents, and tell them if it continues you will go to the police. If that doesn't work go to the police. It is serious and what happened to mackiemad's dog could happen to your dog, and if it got to the police stage I would be insisting they do something.

..Where is your dog that this happens ? perhaps take dog away from the back lane , if that's it - and definitely do not have a dog in the front yard at all , unless you are with them - so much can happen :( Can you put shadecloth or bamboo along the fence to break line-of-sight?

Thanks for the replies and ideas everyone, all noted! I'm hoping it was a once off, but am on the lookout now. Unfortunately it's a corner block, so one side of the back yard shares a fenceline with the footpath.

Both of these, and perhaps walk out with your phone to your ear saying, "Is that the police.........."; and camera in other hand

Agree with above with one caveat - naughty kids sometimes have dodgy parents so exercise caution if the parents seem troublesome.

Too true, sadly.

Jemmy ours was a corner block too, makes it very hard. Do stay vigilant and on the lookout - it may have been a once off, but if the kids get away with it and think it's a marvellous joke they will do it again.

Thanks DDD, it was years ago but it still gets me very very emotional. Humans can be so crappy :(

I have this issue daily. I live next to a laneway and the kids bash on the fence every morning and afternoon. pulled one kid up and was told to get f*&%$d. Found out where he lived spoke to his parents and it nearly ended in a punch up with the bogans, they also proceeded to threaten the baiting of my dogs. I decided not to take actions into my own hands and notified the police. Which they sorted it. But have spoken to the council as I had complaints about the barking and they were of no use. I just have learnt to live with it. The dogs stay in during these times. luckily my wife works very close by.

You could plead to their good sense, (depending on the age and personality of the kids involved)....some are just being normal rambunctious kids, explain to them in a friendly non confrontational way that your dog is a really great dog, and by them barking he/she is getting fearful and them being the nice kids that they are, wouldn't want that on their mind.

Or if they are just truly awful kids, keep the dog inside/away from that area for the time when they are likely to be going past, no reward for them when they aren't stirring anything up.

It's a fine line with horrible kids, their parents could be worse and you end up with more trouble. Corner blocks are a pain!

When I was a child we had teenage boys constantly cutting to a tram stop through a laneway behind our home. We had cyclone fencing with hedges. They thought it was great fun to try and throw stones through the fence and hit the dog, my red heeler. They also barked at him and yelled at him.

Cut to 18mths later and the dog was so fearfully aggressive to people, especially males, outside the home that he was very dangerous. We tried to talk to the kids. We tried to rehab the dog. However we euthed him at 5yrs old. Way to young. We just couldn't trust him and he was starting to escape, in any case he was so anxious and fearful that he wasn't happy.

So do whatever you can to stop them making your dog fearful. I've never forgiven myself and I know it was one of the hardest decisions my dad made, putting down a dog that was so bonded to and gentle with his children. Rip Barry.

I have this issue daily. I live next to a laneway and the kids bash on the fence every morning and afternoon. pulled one kid up and was told to get f*&%$d. Found out where he lived spoke to his parents and it nearly ended in a punch up with the bogans, they also proceeded to threaten the baiting of my dogs. I decided not to take actions into my own hands and notified the police. Which they sorted it. But have spoken to the council as I had complaints about the barking and they were of no use. I just have learnt to live with it. The dogs stay in during these times. luckily my wife works very close by.

Both of these posts highlight my main concerns :( Some people are just horrible!

Thank you for sharing your stories - I'm going to nip this in the bud!

Now what about adults taunting dogs. I have an elderly male neighbour who drives past my gate and yells at my dogs through the window. We live rurally and I am last on a dead end dirt road so no reason for him to go up. Grrr

You could plead to their good sense, (depending on the age and personality of the kids involved)....some are just being normal rambunctious kids, explain to them in a friendly non confrontational way that your dog is a really great dog, and by them barking he/she is getting fearful and them being the nice kids that they are, wouldn't want that on their mind.

Or if they are just truly awful kids, keep the dog inside/away from that area for the time when they are likely to be going past, no reward for them when they aren't stirring anything up.

It's a fine line with horrible kids, their parents could be worse and you end up with more trouble. Corner blocks are a pain!

Yeah I agree, just explain to them. They might not actually get that they are taunting the dog. Kids just do dumb stuff sometimes and if this is the case they will respond to you explaining the problem and being friendly.

If it goes on, then speak to their parents and call the school that they go to.