Take Me Out And Shoot Me

Loving my Oldies

Sorry to hear that DD. Boronia is right - my Mac and her Mac are both on the same dosages of incontinence medication. Here its a case of manage it and medicate it.

Perse suggested these to me in August 2013 - not cheap but they have saved my sanity. I also bought a 'proper' incontinence mattress protector from this site and it works brilliantly. So as far as the bed goes - I have a proper incontinence mattress protector, then my sheets, then I put a set of the Conni Critter mats down the other side of the bed and Mac sleeps on that with a belly band. In winter they also have the $3.95 Ikea acrylic blankets which are the perfect size and wash like rags and dry very quickly. And its pretty much been problem solved as the Conni mats are easy to wash if there's an accident, the wee doesn't go through to the sheets - and I have enough for a second set while one set dries. I also have a single mattress protector which I put on the lounge - that way no-one is banished from anywhere.

Mac is poo incontinent as well these days - he'll be walking around and the poo just falls out. But I find that easier to deal with than the wee - down the loo and an antiseptic wipe and a good going over of the floor every couple of days. And I have been known to put girl knickers from Petstock on him if he's having a really bad day - but that's rare. And I buy the Poise pads (orange ones) on special in bulk - this is one time the Woolies 'Select' don't do the job - they leak.

I'd be in the loony bin by now without Perse's Conni suggestion and the belly bands, medication and Poise pads - sounds a lot but its actually easy once you get into the habit - and get organised.

Hope that helps. smile.gif

And before anyone asks - Mac still has great quality of life and is a very happy, snuggly and spritely old fella who happens to be incontinent. When he gets to a point where he has more bad days than good and I can't manage his incontinence at all then I'll make a different decision.

Edited by westiemum

Just need to put in another plug for the conni critter pads -

yes- have used them for incontinent dogs - but they have been invaluable for a certain piglet! She uses them for any inside toileting - and they absorb a LOT, very quickly .

Thinking of you, managing your oldies ....

:hug:

Just need to put in another plug for the conni critter pads -

yes- have used them for incontinent dogs - but they have been invaluable for a certain piglet! She uses them for any inside toileting - and they absorb a LOT, very quickly .

Thinking of you, managing your oldies ....

:hug:

thumbsup1.gif Go piglet!!!

Puppy training pads might be a cheaper option, you can sometimes get them with sticky bits on the back so they dont slide on the bedding. They're a saviour, just wrap em up and chuck em out if they get soiled. All towelling and mattress protectors get lined with them at the working end now.

Best of luck with the poor poppets.

I was using large puppy pads under my dogs cushion cover - they were very effective :thumbsup:

He would only wet himself if he had a big day with no naps so really less than 5x, but it was much better to only wash the cover than the very thick pillow