Crate For A New Puppy

westiemum

Hi All,

As most of you know , I don't know a lot about puppies... adult rescues are my thing.

But friends are hoping that a new mini Schnauzer puppy will join their family sometime in January. They would like to crate train puppy fairly quickly as the pup will be going on lengthy 4wd trips with them - the first probably when pup is about six months old. Like the idea of a soft crate that is collapsible for the back of the 4wd. And should it have covers over any side windows?

Also crate training suggestions and suggestions for a 4w driving puppy? biggrin.gif

TIA smile.gif

In the back of my Rav4 I have a false floor with two of these on top (medium size):

http://www.vebopet.com.au/dog/dog-crate-cage/collapsible-metal-wire-pet-crate-with-slanted-side-for-cars-2-sizes.html

Works really well! Also means it is super easy to take the crates out to put kids bikes in etc.

I would have loved a setup like TSD but when I checked prices it was out of my price range. I'll see if I can get OH to resize the pic I have of my setup - too big to put on here atm.

Edited by Kavik

I agree with others about soft crates. I'm not a fan of the airline types either, I much prefer wire crates as I think they get much better airflow. Having said that, apart from using an airline type for my pups until they are about 4 months I have no real experience with them.

As for crate training, thinking back I've never done that either. The dogs are put in the crate as need be and initially I might feed them there or give them a toy etc. but it is a fairly quick process for them to accept the crate. I've never "played crate training" games or taken weeks to introduce them to the crate. They never go in the car without being in a crate.

Thanks all - keep it coming. They are now leaning towards a wire crate - the vebo one looks good.

But assuming a mini schnauzer runs true to temperament (i.e. a bit on the independent side) a bit of crate training before a long 4wd trip probably won't go astray. :)

Edited by westiemum

Vebo do great wire crates - highly recommended.

As for training I do Susan Garrett's Crate Games but that is much more about building drive and self-control. When pups come here I feed them in their crate at every opportunity, they generally sleep by my bed in their crate and travel everywhere in the car with the adult dogs to training, trials etc. Within a very short time they reckon crates are AWESOME :)

Yep - collapsible wire crates for the car are the go, I think - and maybe an airline crate for inside the house, until pup can be trusted in a soft crate.

The back seats of my Rav were folded down the day I took it out of the showroom 5 years ago :laugh: , and the Boder Collies' crates put in - and the only times the crates have been out have been when I needed to cart stuff or take the mower to the mower man or something like that. You can get water dishes that clip onto the sides of the crate for longer trips. And they can be covered with a light cover to make it more den like.

Must admit I haven't fussed too much about training them for crate dwelling - covered crate for nights - best treats - chicken wings etc - only in crate initially - door open until pup is comfortable (or asleep) - crate where people are - my 6 year old BC boy still chooses to start the night in his airline crate beside my bed - even though the door was taken off it a few years ago. He does come out to lie on the floor if he gets too warm.

Thing that always interests me about crates - they say dogs can't generalise well, but for some reason, they seem to be able to apply the concept "den" to crates of all types, sizes etc. without spcific generalisation training. Which suggests to me that the den nature of the crate is a powerful reinforcer for them.

Thanks all - keep it coming. They are now leaning towards a wire crate - the vebo one looks good.

But assuming a mini schnauzer runs true to temperament (i.e. a bit on the independent side) a bit of crate training before a long 4wd trip probably won't go astray. :)

I hope that isn't its temp as that is not a true Mini temp at all they are not independent as such they are very much people/companion dogs & very easy to train ,smart thinkers .

The mini pups will have been raised in a puppy pen at the breeders so the pups will havea good grasp of being confined.

I wouldn't bother with a soft crate or airline crate just buy a decent fold up wire crate ,easier to hang water bowls off,safety 100% of the time & you can place a piece of light wood or something on top for a shelf when out .easy to clean & all weather ease .

I have soft crates but am selling them as they just aren't as convenient,i paid good money for mine so i had quality that lasted but they get hot in summer & quite airless even in winter & placing bowls instead is a pain

I have just bought a wire crate for an 8 week old beagle. It cost $119 at PetBarn. It is Animates brand. So far it has been excellent. I trained her in one day. Firstly I fed her in the crate. Then when she fell asleep in my arms which is sudden and often when they are so young I put her down in the crate, leaving the door open. Then when next I fed her in the crate I shut the door for about ten minutes. I continued this sort of thing all day. That night she slept in the crate. She cried a little at first but then settled. When ever she goes in her crate I put a soft chew in with her as well as some of her toys. A week later she is perfectly happy to stay there all night. I love the wire crate because I know she is safe in there especially away from power cords and indoor plants and my curtains which she wants to swing on. So far she is experimenting with chewing absolutely everything, and she would wreck a soft crate very quickly.

Have a look on gumtree or other places locally that sell second hand. You can still pick up a good steel crate for a fraction of the price new.

However, I am against using collapsible crates within vehicles. They are not secured and in an accident the dog and the crate can soon become a missile and cause more damage to the dog and any other passengers. There was a photo going around on Facebook of a woman who thought she was doing the right thing by securing her dogs in the collapsible steel crates in the boot section of a wagon (Rav 4 or simlar). She was involved in an accident and the weight of the dogs being thrown against the sides of the steel crate caused them to collapse and fold in and then the whole lot was thrown about the car.

In some states, it is law to secure all loads within the vehicle. This includes dogs (and their crates). Purpose built crates that anchor properly to the vehicle's factory mounting are much safer (although can be limiting for other luggage) as they cannot move around in an event of an accident.

We are avid 4wders and part of a club. My dogs come regularly on club trips where dogs are allowed. I use a harness and strap my dog in this way rather than using a crate for securing the dog.

In the hilux, I do have a drawer system in the back and a door at the rear of the dogs where I can lock the dogs in. However, once I go off road, the dogs are strapped in via a harness so they are not thrown around.

Set up in the back of the lux:

post-430-0-62244100-1416959406_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mystiqview

• 1 month later...

Thanks all for the advice. Have now joined DoL and expecting the delivery of our little pup in the next fortnight.

Based on what you've all said (passed on to me by Westiemum) I bought a Vebo wire crate and have that set up and ready for crate training at home right from the word 'go'. Aim to do a 4,500 km 4WD trip with Leo in April/May this year and want to make sure that he is happy for the duration. My aim is to secure him when he is in the crate and to have the crate mounted between the two front seats on the folded down back seat of our 4WD so that Leo can get in and out of the crate between the front seats. This will keep him safe in the very centre of the vehicle - and also in touch with us at all times.

We're doing Goog's Track, the Anne Beadell Highway and Maralinga so it should be a wonderful experience for Leo - and the start of many more, we hope! Anyone else got good tips about taking dogs out in the bush?

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow's the big day ( technically today !) that new pup Leo, the Mini Schnauzer arrives to his new life In the Amuse household. Amuse the first rule of DOL is pics!!! provoke.gif

Thanks everyone for your help. Really proud of these guys - it's been an 18 month process to get the right breed, the right breeder and the right puppy. I just wish everyone would take such care when taking on a 10 - 15 year commitment to a new family member. Congratulations guys and have a great day tomorrow/today.party1.gif

• 2 weeks later...