What Breed For Family

krystal1

Hi everyone, was just wondering what breed of dog you would suggest for a family. We have 3 kids, 8,4, and 2 year olds. We also have a 10year old cavvie. I would love another cavvie but my partner woild prefer something with less fur.

The dog will live inside with us, we would like something that would be happy with a walk once a day and a play in the yard with us and the kids, so nothing that is hugely active. I am home most of the time so it will have plenty of time with us. Even though the kids are very gentle with our old boy, I would like something that is not too delicate, and could easily be hurt. Size doesnt matter, just someyhing not too small.

thanks

Hi everyone, was just wondering what breed of dog you would suggest for a family. We have 3 kids, 8,4, and 2 year olds. We also have a 10year old cavvie. I would love another cavvie but my partner woild prefer something with less fur.

The dog will live inside with us, we would like something that would be happy with a walk once a day and a play in the yard with us and the kids, so nothing that is hugely active. I am home most of the time so it will have plenty of time with us. Even though the kids are very gentle with our old boy, I would like something that is not too delicate, and could easily be hurt. Size doesnt matter, just someyhing not too small.

thanks

Was just going to say cavvie, until i read read the 3rd sentence.

Staffies can be great with kids. Called the 'nanny dog.' Though i'd worry maybe a bit rough with your oldie and may need more exercise. I don't know much about them in that regard.

Daschunds are probably too delicate but i know many families happy with their daschunds.

I am really struggling with shorthaied breeds that match!

Chi - too delicate

JRT - need lots of exercise

Boston terier - exercise

frenchie maybe?

Smooth fox terrier?

Tenterfield terrier

schnauzer - hairy but i dont think shed much.

The larger gundogs viszlas and the like are great dogs. But do need to be kept busy.

Don't know too much about any of them.

Hopefully someone helpful can chime in.

Yeah I am loving greyhounds these days. I always thought of them as the last breed I would ever consider, now that I have met many and got over my own ignorance I truly believe they are a wonderful breed that can suit so many different people.

Again, I am no expert in the breed but I think they are wonderful :)

I would suggest heading down toa dogshow & seeing what everyone takes a fancy too ,there a plenty of breeds that would suit but it comes down to what you want to live with & short coats will still shed just as much.

Do you work on your Cavies coat weekly ?

Thanks everyone, yes he gets a brush and a clip when needed. The moulting isnt too big off a deal, sammy is shocking, but nothing a good vacuum wont solve. He just doesnt want a 'girly dog' again, as he would put it. Even though sammy has been the perfect family dog. I have also looked into greyhounds, but my partner would prefer a pup.

So what is "girly" about a cavvie? Really they are just a very small spaniel, and there is nothing girlie about spaniels. Great hunting dogs!thumbsup1.gif

A pair of dogs work well when they have similar energy levels and play styles. This would eliminate most of the terriers and other earth hunting breeds, all spitz breeds, all of the bull breeds and most of the working, herding and guarding breeds. Cavvies are very laid back dogs, and I am struggling to think of a laid back smooth coat which isn't going to do through a teenage devastation phase or be too high drive to be suitable for your family and current pet.

Getting an older dog rather than a puppy would make your choices much wider, as every breed has the laid back odd few, regardless of common breed temperaments, but there is no way you can tell when they are babies or adolescents if they are going to end up that way. Also a few breeds which are commonly manic until or 4 or 5 years old quite often settle down to a less demanding style after that (Pugs and Dalmations are a couple of examples).

But if it has to be a puppy, then perhaps you can get him to consider a cavalier of a different colour? He might consider some of the less popular colours more "manly".laugh.gif