Lucky I Own My House

Kirislin

Guest RosieFT

If it makes you feel any better, I am too honest too and may have lost out on a claim because I couldn't keep my mouth shut. Least we sleep better at night, right? ugh I'm not so sure anymore!

That's why I had to start crating my oldie. Twice she got into a cupboard and chewed through plastic containers to get stuff (bonios the first time, muesli the second) and that involved 2 vet visits. She also dragged bottles of wine off a low shelf, breaking one. Why????

I have tiled floors so no real biggie cleaning up, unlike your mess. Wouldn't know where to start with oil - something to soak it up such as sawdust?? Bad enough cleaning it off tiles really (have had to do that once).

as the title says, I'm glad I dont rent this place. I've been out most of the day and come home to find Tag and Puck have got a 2 litre cask of OLIVE OIL!! and torn it open and spilt it on my carpet!! A great big oily puddle that I haven't even tried to start cleaning up because I've no idea where to start. The house is over 30 years old and the carpet would be the same age. I think I'll just have to pull it up. I'm also concerned about Puck because he didn't want his dinner which is unheard of. I rang the vet and asked if I should make him vomit and he said no because it's probably too late and there's a danger of aspirating into his lungs. I'm worried about pancreatitis.

Oh they also got onto the dining room table and stole the tomatoes and then sicked them up on the carpet too! I dont know what came over them today.

Kirislin

For next time - you didn't see the dogs do any of that... there is just a huge stain on the carpet and you were out, so you don't know how it happened...

I have the same problem with storm / lightening damage.

I don't know that the electrical item ceased to function because of the lightening storm... so I don't say that... then they can't say we don't cover that ("act of god").

the whatever it was "just stopped working"...

This works especially well for warranties.

Was the carpet by any chance - guaranteed not to stain?

Kirislin

For next time - you didn't see the dogs do any of that... there is just a huge stain on the carpet and you were out, so you don't know how it happened...

I have the same problem with storm / lightening damage.

I don't know that the electrical item ceased to function because of the lightening storm... so I don't say that... then they can't say we don't cover that ("act of god").

the whatever it was "just stopped working"...

This works especially well for warranties.

Was the carpet by any chance - guaranteed not to stain?

I thought you were covered for storm damage. I think I am anyway but no doubt there'd be something in the fine print to count it out if it happened I suppose. As to my carpet, it's really old anyway and time it was pulled up, I just cant afford to do it, although I'll have to. I think I'm more disappointed that after 17 years never claiming I discover that when I do I'm not covered for this particular incident. Something so minor as if it was a friends dog, rather than my own, I would be covered.

aah me and my stupid honest nature. Damage caused by pets isn't covered. :mad I should've lied.

Many years ago when we were kids, our family cat knocked the landline phone over & it shattered. The then Telecom bloke came to replace it. He said it'd not cost anything if a human family member had done it... but not a pet. But he kindly got round it by writing on the 'cause' form...'Broken by L. Jackson (family name) in a fall'. Which was true... puss's name was Little-Bird (truly).

Edited by mita

after 17 years never claiming I discover that when I do I'm not covered for this particular incident

I think a lot of people in Brisbane discovered their insurance companies didn't want to cover them against flood caused by rising river over flowing its banks either. Eg the insurance company's take on it was they shouldn't live in the flood zone. But the insurance company was happy to take their money anyway.

Storm damage eg if a tree branch falls on your roof or the roof gets blown off - I think that's covered by most polices.

Hmm - lightning seems to be covered but power surges from the power company are not.

Flood seems to be excluded unless you paid extra for it. There used to be cover if you got flooded because of something like a burst water mains. The AAMI PDS is a bit ambiguous about it.

Whatever - if you state a cause that's excluded even if you couldn't prove that cause (you didn't see it happen), the insurance company will happily take your word for it and not cover you. Best to say "I don't know" or "I didn't see how it happened" and don't fall for them asking you to take your best guess.

dealing with lawyers (and junior male hockey players) teaches you to be sneaky... sigh.

PS I asked my current company about accidental damage cover and the increase to the premium made it not worth it. Ie it's cheaper to get a professional in to try to clean the carpet than it is to pay the accidental damage premium.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

That's some classic Whippet stink eye you're being given in that photo. :laugh:

Fingers crossed they didn't actually drink that much of it.

And maybe now is the time to switch to a hard floor in that room. Good Whippets are just helping you out with the start of redecorating. :angel:

Just noticed this thread and do hope Puck is OK!! Recently my sister who has an 18 month old ,really gorgeous but very destructive ,Standard Poodle .Recently ,she returned from shopping to find Italian leather couch with the end eaten out of it and leather ripped to pieces .Teddy was. going....for about an hour .(she adores him).Following week he got into the laundry and chewed through a tin of purple dye ...ran through the house ,staining the cream carpet as he went! They were frantic as they'd not long been in the house .On the off-chance I suggested they claim insurance .Long story short ,eight weeks later they have a brand new couch ,carpet new as they couldn't match the colour so put new right

through the house .All up paid out $14000 !! Teddy was always very loved ,but now worth more than his weight in gold. :thumbsup:

Just noticed this thread and do hope Puck is OK!! Recently my sister who has an 18 month old ,really gorgeous but very destructive ,Standard Poodle .Recently ,she returned from shopping to find Italian leather couch with the end eaten out of it and leather ripped to pieces .Teddy was. going....for about an hour .(she adores him).Following week he got into the laundry and chewed through a tin of purple dye ...ran through the house ,staining the cream carpet as he went! They were frantic as they'd not long been in the house .On the off-chance I suggested they claim insurance .Long story short ,eight weeks later they have a brand new couch ,carpet new as they couldn't match the colour so put new right

through the house .All up paid out $14000 !! Teddy was always very loved ,but now worth more than his weight in gold. :thumbsup:

OMG, if my dog did that I would have WW3 in my hands with my OH. Does your sister have a husband and if so how did he react?

This thread has brought back memories….. I used to own an apartment and had a Papillon pup. He was house trained so I thought I could step out for an hour and not worry about him soiling the carpet. When I came back an hour later he proved me right in that he didn't poo or pee but instead decided to topple a pot plant upside down which I recently watered and drag it all through the lounge room which was carpeted. I came home to a carpet that was indeed soiled with wet potting mix, I would have preferred if he had peed or pooped instead. :eek:

that's amazing. I wonder why she leaves him alone with free run of the house knowing what he's like. My whippets have never done anything too bad except for the olive oil, but they're 10 years old. Neko on the other hand, I still wont leave her unattended in the house and I've had her for 13months.

Do you know what kind of insurance cover she has?

It's really a long story....sister got Teddy about the time I got Jesse...there the similarities end. In the past I have usually had large dogs where she has had small.I have a lot more training experience and from the start suggested he be crate trained.She considered that cruel and insisted he was fine . Slowly but surely ,shoes were chewed ,wallets etc .O/H and I would wait for the morning phone call of his latest antics.Finally it was agreed they borrow my dog gate to confine him to the kitchen .This sort of worked till he jumped it ! With all this new furniture he is now taken everywhere with them.Not left alone..ever.OK but weather is heating up and I worry she will leave him too long in the car etc,etc . They love him dearly ,but are like those parents who let children run wild ,with no manners etc.Husband is similar.

Funny thing was ,I left it about a month and decided to claim for carpet stains done a few months earlier when one of the dogs was sick on newish carpet.Took photos etc of stains and was very firmly told " they don't cover pet damage" A MI . Related sisters story...."We don't discuss other people's claims"!!!!

Needless to say ,I was very p*******d off! Sister thought it a great joke.Better add I love my sister and Teddy very much ,just frustrated . :confused: