Dog Learnt To Undo Seatbelt!

swanqueen

Hi all,

I've got a very clever dog (sort of).

Being a good pet parent I always make sure that when we travel in the car, my boy's in a safety harness and the seat belt goes through the loop in the back (like it says in the instructions). In the first few weeks he's been good, but lately he's figured out how to undo the seat belt! I think what happens is that he moves around and steps on the buckle and frees himself.

Does anyone know of a better safety harness or something that can prevent him from unbuckling himself? We have a small sedan and there's no room to put a crate in so that kinda rules it out.

Thanks all!

You could try a ute tether, that has a heavy duty clip on each end. Clip one end to a baby seat anchor point (probably on the backs of the rear seats), and the other end to your dog's harness.

Edited by aliwake

With my two, I found it impossible to attach them to the seat belt buckle. The girl is a spinner & would be tangled up within the first couple of minutes & the boy learnt to free himself by stepping on the buckle. I attach my harnesses either to the cargo barrier behind the seat or to one of the child anchors.

Yep, what aliwake said :)

This is how I used to tether Kaos before we got our new car which fits crates in the back. Love my new car!

What model did you get?

:)

Our new car is a 2012 Toyota Rav4 :). The newer models from 2013 have a different boot shape. I am able to fit in a false floor so I can put my trialling gear underneath, with two crates on top of the false floor.