Stubborn Dogs

Loving my Oldies

I saw something in a post not so long ago and meant to go back to read it further, but I didn't and now I have forgotton where it was.

The poster said something about her "stubborn Spitz".

Are Spitz breeds generally more stubborn than other dogs? Are they known to be stubborn?

I'm curious and interested because my dog Danny is going through all sorts of problems at the moment and sometimes (no, many times) I think to myself that he is a very stubborn dog. Even before he became ill, I used to think this.

Danny is a little Finnish Spitz cross breed, 15 years of age and currently weighs 5.4kg.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Spitz breeds are known for their willful natures. Granted some are more people focused than others.

You're dealing with a primative type of dog that has been bred for thousands of years to think for itself so although they love their people and are focused on them, they're still going to do what they want, when they want to do it. The trick is convincing them that you're the brains of the operation ;)

I wouldn't call them aloof with their owners but they can be like that to strangers some times and some breeds are worse than others.

Edited by Bjelkier

Aloof??? :laugh: My husky is the polar opposite, he loves meeting all people, I had to sign for a parcel yesterday and Ronin squeezed his head through the door opening, pinned his ears back and and put his head on the posty's thighs, all for a pat. The posty loved it and so did Ronin.

Are they stubborn - well, yes they are very intelligent and strong willed dogs but If there is something in it for them, then all stubbornness evaporates :D

It really comes down to the nature and nurture, if the breeder is a good one and bred from dogs with sound temperaments, the pups will probably have had plenty of positive interaction with lots of different people in a home environment in the early days and this should carry through. Breed em, chuck em in the back yard and sell em. then you will probably get an extremely stubborn dog that is very aloof.

It kind of drives me a bit nuts when people make assumptions about breeds. I meet this Husky prejudice every day... and this is definitely not directed to DDD who has asked a very good question :)

Edited by Yonjuro

Yes, Yonjuro. Danny is the polar opposite of aloof too, but he can be very very stubborn and wilful. You have read and commented in my post about him and I sometimes wonder if he is just being plain stubborn combined with some learned behavioural traits.

For sure, he has been a very unwell little boy, but I remembered the other poster's reference to her "stubborn Spitz" when I was trying to get him to take some yoghurt with his medication mixed in it. Luckily this has now been provided in liquid form and I will be able to syringe it from now on, but I have to go over to collect it from SASH.

I had to get him started on the yoghurt mix by putting some on my finger and then he was licking happily. He stopped to have a little rest and would not start again until the bowl was right under his nose. All his food and water bowls have to be raised and quite often he will not start eating until I am actually holding the bowl. And, again, after another stop, he would not start again until the bowl was at his little snout. He is making me earn every cuddle LOL.

So recalling the mention of "stubborn Spitz", I was prompted to enquire.

Yes, Yonjuro. Danny is the polar opposite of aloof too, but he can be very very stubborn and wilful. You have read and commented in my post about him and I sometimes wonder if he is just being plain stubborn combined with some learned behavioural traits.

For sure, he has been a very unwell little boy, but I remembered the other poster's reference to her "stubborn Spitz" when I was trying to get him to take some yoghurt with his medication mixed in it. Luckily this has now been provided in liquid form and I will be able to syringe it from now on, but I have to go over to collect it from SASH.

I had to get him started on the yoghurt mix by putting some on my finger and then he was licking happily. He stopped to have a little rest and would not start again until the bowl was right under his nose. All his food and water bowls have to be raised and quite often he will not start eating until I am actually holding the bowl. And, again, after another stop, he would not start again until the bowl was at his little snout. He is making me earn every cuddle LOL.

So recalling the mention of "stubborn Spitz", I was prompted to enquire.

Oh for sure, I have been following about Danny with all my finger crossed. , I would say it sounds like spitz mentality, but knowing how unwell he has been it is hard to say. This is what I picture Danny thinking "Don't feel well, don't want it - bugger off... ermm, but I wouldn't mind a tickle or cuddle" Which I suppose is just understandably stubborn and possibly a little bit of spitz nature coming through. He doesn't really understand whats in it for him, so you just get the "nope, not having a bar of it"

I went through a similar time to what your are going through two years ago with my beloved 14 year old Schnauzer so I completely understand your feelings and again I say that your question is a good one and I am not in the slightest offended by the spitz mentality reference. I do believe that they are a pretty unique dog and do have many challenges when compared with other breeds.