Baby Wipes?

Hi all,

I went to the local pet supply shop the other day to buy my usual dog ear wipes and was told they were no longer stocking them. My weim has floppy ears which are prone to getting mucky with humidity. Usually wiping them out weekly with the ear wipes has been fine. Unfortunately squirting a liquid in his ears makes him run for the hills - so I need an alternative that's more wipe-like than liquid-like. The guy at the store recommended baby wipes instead. Has anyone had any success using baby wipes for their dog's ears?

Thanks,

Kate.

I use scent free, nasties free baby wipes on my cats. You could also try the baby safety ear buds with some ear cleaner on them for the harder to reach bits - I do that with the cats also :)

Yep!! I've been using unscented baby wipes for years for my dogs. They're also great for cleaning up messy bums or wiping mouths after a messy dinner.

I use scent free, nasties free baby wipes on my cats. You could also try the baby safety ear buds with some ear cleaner on them for the harder to reach bits - I do that with the cats also :)

Yep!! I've been using unscented baby wipes for years for my dogs. They're also great for cleaning up messy bums or wiping mouths after a messy dinner.

I used to get them for the kids, then they grew upa nd I still get them - although in far smaller amounts :)

I have had no issues with my cats and using them and one is sensitive. And if you are wondering why I use them on my cats, they are Sphynx and required regular bathing,ear and nail clenaing :)

If you only do it weekly then perhaps just get a soft cloth or cut up an old tshirt and make up a cup of calendula tea, soak, wring out and use it to wipe the ears. Even if you did it daily I don't think it would be too much of a hassle. Just have a bunch of little cloths to use :) I think the properties of the calendula will be really good for the dog and it should be cheaper :D

Do the baby wipes leave the ears moist though?

I use ear cleaner on a makeup pad.

They appear to be fine with Herbert's ears.

We are coming to the end of 6 weeks trialling them, JulesP.

The gunk that was in his ears at the start of using the baby wipes has reduced. His ears are much better 'looking' & to touch.

We had to do this to compensate for the aftermath of swimming. We were getting the old head flicking, shaking the whole body mini earthquakes. All of these behaviours have reduced too.

He has a Vet visit next week. So I will update here on his ears.

:)

Cool. My vet said to just clean Poppy's ears regularly but the ear cleaner must sting a bit as she does carry on. Wipes would be a lot easier to use.

geeze, my Vet said not to persist with ear cleaner because of the 'chemicals'....

However this Vet knows I do try to keep the dogs away from chemicals as much as possible.

I also use calendula tea (liquid) with soft cotton cloth as an adjunct.

The older dogs used to have terrible 'ears' on their inside. However, that all cleaned up after a strict regime of calendula tea & probiotics.

Touch wood, we never have stinky ear smells nor issues with ingrown hairs.