Hotspots

A few weeks ago my 10 yo German Shepherd developed a hotspot. I cleansed the area and put on an Elizabethan collar and the vet gave her a course of antibiotics. A couple of new lesions developed, even though she was not allowed to lick the area, and I treated these with Curash - a hint I found on this forum. Her skin is now unbroken but I'm worried about a couple of pink spots, so back to the vet, I think.

My question is, why? I've never had a dog with a hotspot before, even though most of my dogs have had heavier coats than she has. She's never had a hotspot before and, as I said, she is ten years old. She doesn't have fleas and the weather has been mild, so why now?

I would be grateful for any insights. I'm starting her on a raw diet, but what else can I do to prevent recurrences?

Edited by DogsAndTheMob

I found brushing more regularly to remove the dead undercoat at this time of year to be the most effective preventative when I had my rough collie. He only started to get hot spots as he was older and I think that was due to his coat shedding differently as he aged.

Not exactly scientific but it helped me :) make sure you clip the area around the hot spot and dry the dog very thoroughly if he gets wet...worked for me! I used a betadine solution. I now have a breed that doesn't have a double coat and haven't seen a hotspot in years.

I've only ever had them with dogs having that thick undercoat - like labs/sheps/newfs

Humidity will work WITH the bacteria ... so clean & dry & aerated is good :)

Don't forget to use grooming tools with NO sharp points - and disinfect them, so you don't spread the bugs .

raw diet sounds a good plan :) Good luck with it .Oh - I second betadine - both the scrub, and leave- on solution .

Thanks you all for the information, and a big thank you for all the encouragement..

Mackiemad, although Jenny has a very light undercoat for a GSD, it has increased substantially in recent months. I read somewhere that this happens in response to poorer circulation in older dogs... In any case, I will groom her more thoroughly...

Persephone, I find that she tolerates a shedding blade better than a slicker, and it seems quite good at removing the old hair. I used triocil rather than betadine to clean the skin. I thought the ingredients were the same but I've just checked the active ingredient, and it's not.

Thanks for the information about humidity. With rain forecast for tomorrow, it's a timely warning.

I'm glad to have confirmation of my thoughts about food, CHA and showdog. I'm very unhappy about changes I've noticed in the ingredients lists of most dog goods, from meat based with some grain to grain-based with some meat. I also remember seeing a comment about high glycaemic index foods as a risk factor for skin problems in dogs.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob

Our rescue Lab had a few hotspots a few months ago and I had no idea they were "brewing" because of her thick coat.

We had no idea on her past either.

Ended up shaving the areas, they smelt really bad when I got up close to shave, and putting on the purple horse spray everyday. Think I put on the spray for about a week until they pretty much cleared up.

She's been on an excellent diet since arriving here but it must just have been her coat that kept the moisture trapped in. She loves water too and I don't think she was getting the best food before she landed on our door step!

Where were the hotspots located? Often if there is no obvious external reason there may be an internal one. For example a hot spot may develop over a source of 'weakness'. Sometimes the site of an injury (old or new) or some other systemic weakness. Looking at ways to boost the immune system or address the 'weakness' may help in those situations.

Edited by espinay2