Dog Runs

Riley James

Large breed dogs.

And it depends on the day how long they are in them.

They are in runs when ever we are not home due to be rural and sourounded by livestock.

They are out a minimum of 6 hours to run the 7 acres.

The one run we have now is 7 metres by 3 and needing another run for the new pup.

I've told hubby I want the same size run he says smaller.

Hence the post.

I'd just halve the one you have making it 3.5 X 3. If most of the time they are free running they'll sleep in their dog run. If you have two 7 metre long runs next to each other chances are they will fence run and that's not so good for young or old joints

My run is 4*2 metres for 2 dogs with a single bed with thick rubber instead of a mattress. We had 2 but the dog prefer to stay together. Generally GSD on the bed and BC under the bed. They are in it some days for 8 hours but most days only an hour or so. If nothing is happening in the yard they usually sleep in there in the day with the door open. I don't think it needs to be bigger as they are mostly sleeping anyway. Neither poop in there and hold on until we get home.

At the moment we have our ridgeback boy and our jack Russell boy in the larger run.

We are talking about dividing it so we can seperate these two if we want to but with a gate between that we can leave open if we want.

The new pup is a ridgie bitch so it needs to be seperate from the other run.

So far the two we have have never fence run.

In fact they sleep most of the time in the run.

They have a large shed 3m x 2 as the kennel with raised beds in it.

Since you are in Victoria, have a look at the Department of Primary Industries web site at the Code of Practice for the (private) Keeping of Dogs.

There is an appendix at the back saying what size your runs should be and lots of other info you did not know that you needed!

There are minimum sizes.

Mine are 5m X 2 metres. Originally built to house a single Dobermann per run. NOw I have 2 one side and one the other. However I also added a 17m X 12 metre grass year. The single Whippet has a small area fenced off, the two boys the rest. They are only locked in now if required due to injury/surgery etc.

At the kennels their runs are 5m x 1.5 metres.

The first is before the yard went up, the second is after

post-23623-0-12028500-1413028759_thumb.jpg

post-23623-0-73567200-1413028791_thumb.jpg

Edited by OSoSwift

My backyard is divided up and I can put different dogs in different areas but I always make sure the pup/s are not next to the older dog cause they do fence run - alot. I do not need the injuries that can occur and my neighbours do not need the excited barks at 6 am! :D

Thanks everyone for your input.

Will show hubby the DPI information which says the run will need to be at least 15 sqm.

At the moment there is no huge rush as Pup will be in a secure puppy run near the house until she grows a bit (we so this with all the pups)

Also helps with the human bonding rather than her bonding with the other dogs instead of us.

Once we build our farm shed we will build another dog run attached to that which will give us even more flexibility to move the dogs as needed.

????

Cheers Janet.

BarkCOntrol,

They look good but are not big enough for what we need.

Ours needs to be 15 sqm

So 5 x 3 minimum.

Luckily for me my husband is a stainless steel welder.

I keep showing him ones to buy he keeps telling me he isn't paying for something he can make for half the price and twice the quality lol

Cheers Janet

we are looking for a dog run to use as a chicke yard and to keep the dogs out instead of in lol... if your husband feels like welding us one at half the price and twice the quality let me know haha :o

but if anyone has a recommendation of a kit one you can buy that would be cool too.. sigh :p

Lasarena,

I've been waiting for a chicken coop for 8 months now so I wouldn't hold your breathe if I was you PMSL

The dog run he has to do as the pup will be here in 5 weeks lol.

And I bet it won't get done till the last minute :eek:

You know what they say about tradesmen :I did find quite a few decent looking ones through Google tho

I can't post up links on iPad tho.

Look up petpanels.com.au

You can add to them as you want and move it if needed

Edited by Riley James

Thanks Oso Swift and Riley James ... I will check out those suggestions :)

it's funny how things get left to the last minute... we are supposed to be rehoming some chicks from the ag department of the high school so I guess when we are told they will be here in 2 days, something might get done haha