Behaviour Advice

Ronda

Hey I'm after a bit of advice in regards to my dog and my boy friends dog and their interactions. I've moved in to my bf house about a month ago, he's got a lab named Fry (6 yr old male desexed). My dog joey (whippet 3 yr old male de sexed), came with me. The problem which I believe is getting worse is my dog getting jealous of me paying attention to Fry. Pretty much if I am cuddling joey and fry approaches joey will snap at him. Or if I'm cuddling fry joey will try to hump him. Also if I'm playing tug with joey fry will get really work up over it to the point of whining and barking. I think he gets stressed out over it or if joey tries to get him to play he goes under the kitchen table to hide. Any advice much appreciated :)

Edited by Ronda

Two different kinds of dogs with different play styles.

I often foster dogs and they sometimes show the behaviour you describe when they are on my lap and one of my dogs comes near.

I immediately put them on the ground or in a crate and no attention. Next time they do it, I repeat putting them down on the ground or in a crate. Crates are good, you only need to put them in there for 5 minutes.

They soon get the message.

As for the Lab barking and carrying on when you play with Joey, the answer to that is perhaps not to do that in front of him.

A behaviouralist could no doubt help if this is a long term prospect and you want to really know what is going on. There are likely to be things that you and/or your boyfriend are doing which might be unwittingly causing the tension.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

Its only a month & they haven't learned to live together yet & sort out who is boss, because one of them has to be whether you recognise who is another matter.

It needs more time & there is nothing abnormal about this. Both you & Joey have invaded Frys home & territory & Joey now has to share everything including you.

I would put down or remove either dog that snaps & say a sharp no or ah ah, whatever words the dog understands.

Have you tried having one either side of you on the lounge & paying attention to both at the same time ?

I would also stop playing tug until they have sorted things out.

I would also ignore the humping. This is what dogs do to establish top dog & it will probably stop or one will object & stop it when they are settled.

Ignore them both more for now. Normal behaviour for some dogs in this situation so patience & common sense in not favouring one or the other is usually best.

Some dogs will never get on but they are not fighting so that's a good sign.