Clipper Recommendations

Thanks GrufLife :) i think I will invest in a pair a Wahl Super Trimmers - cutting matts with scissors from behind ears is fraught with danger

Why would yoo clip the matts out of an ear that is easily brushed out??

Quicker & easier to just brush more often with a comb would take less tan 5 mins

Oh they are gorgeous! Love Pepper's mohawk :D

I haven't got them yet - Louis had a $900 dental last week so Poppy's shaggy face can wait a little while :)

$900 :eek: I didn't think cresties even had that many teeth!!

Four incisors removed, but kept his canines so his tongue stays in his mouth for now :laugh: He luckily has very good teeth for a hairless.

Haha as you can see poor little Pepper has lost a canine :p

• 2 weeks later...

The clippers have arrived Gruf :) The funniest thing is I had them sent to work and the girls on reception had to open the box as it was buzzing! :laugh:

I managed to clip her face last week just with the beard trimmers, not the best job in the world but not too bad for a first attempt. I also did her body :)

Can I ask a question Gruf? She gets a bit of a red rash after clipping which soon settles down with a bit of aloe gel - it that because I'm clipping too close, the clippers are too hot or just a reaction that some dogs get?

Before....

IMAG2892.jpg

After....

IMAG3025_1.jpg

IMAG3031.jpg

The clippers have arrived Gruf :) The funniest thing is I had them sent to work and the girls on reception had to open the box as it was buzzing! :laugh:

I managed to clip her face last week just with the beard trimmers, not the best job in the world but not too bad for a first attempt. I also did her body :)

Can I ask a question Gruf? She gets a bit of a red rash after clipping which soon settles down with a bit of aloe gel - it that because I'm clipping too close, the clippers are too hot or just a reaction that some dogs get?

Before....

IMAG2892.jpg

After....

IMAG3025_1.jpg

IMAG3031.jpg

What a cutiepatootie !

If you are using trimmers the blade should not heat up as they have plastic components that do not allow heat transfer like regular clipper blades. I don't know about the beard trimmers you have so check the blade surface after they have been running a few minutes to make sure there is no heat. the Wahl trimmers you have purchased should not conduct heat to the blade AT ALL. Very safe and completely eliminate true blade burn. The very small trimmers have extremely short blade cut so it *may* be so short as to cause irritation. Again, even the shortest setting on the adjustable blade on the Wahl trimmers should not cause irritation, although it may not cut quite as close as the beard trimmers. Also be careful how much you manhandle the skin while clipping. A lot of hand movement over the skin can enhance irritation on some dogs. Keep the skin taught and try not to go over and over the same spot. also be careful of the angle of the blade to the skin. Try to keep the blade flat to the skin and not kicked up at an angle to the skin. Some dogs are just more prone to irritation, so as long as it settles don't worry too much.

Fabulous, thanks Gruf :) I'll definitely use the plastic guard on these new ones as the blades look very fine - I don't want to take her skin off! Many years ago in my past life as a horse groom, I used to clip horses so have some familiarity with clippers - but it's been a while :)

Fabulous, thanks Gruf :) I'll definitely use the plastic guard on these new ones as the blades look very fine - I don't want to take her skin off! Many years ago in my past life as a horse groom, I used to clip horses so have some familiarity with clippers - but it's been a while :)

No you really shouldn't have to use a plastic guard. On the Wahl Super Trimmer the adjustable blade has 5 length setting built in. The blade itself has plastic parts preventing heat transfer to the blade surface. You can run it with just the blade on it for 45 mins and the blade should be as cold as when you switched it on. When I clip hairless I use just the blade on the shortest setting and never use the plastic guard combs for this job.

Edited by GrufLife