Rose Hips For Arthritis

cowanbree

I have heard great things about Rose Hips Canine Powder for arthritis and would like to try it but unfortunately the dog version is not in NZ as yet. It has to be a powder for my special needs dog and I have found a herbalist selling Rose Hips powder so I was wondering if this is a viable alternative? Has anyone tried just straight powder?

I have heard great things about Rose Hips Canine Powder for arthritis and would like to try it but unfortunately the dog version is not in NZ as yet. It has to be a powder for my special needs dog and I have found a herbalist selling Rose Hips powder so I was wondering if this is a viable alternative? Has anyone tried just straight powder?

Not myself personally. But friends in the North Island use the human grade of Rose Hip powder for the gundogs.

The difference is the human is a finer powder.

Same benefits.

Good Luck with this for your dog. Most owners I know who use it ( and in different countries) has found it benefical.

:D

I buy the Rose Hip Canine powder on Ebay & I use it for myself & also give it to my girl dog. I can't see any difference in the powder whether it is human or canine. The Rose Hip Vital people themselves have told me there is no difference & people can use the canine one & vice a versa. You can also use the one put out for horses, but it has a small amount of molasses added. A spoon full of the canine one is still the same as a spoonful of the human one.

I use Rose Hip Vital tablets for myself from chemist wharehouse which seems to be giving me some relief with arthritic/nerve damaged hands, wrist & elbows. Both my dogs are on RHVE & they are both thriving. I buy this online from VetnPet Direct. $160 for 1 kg :)

It works really well for me so I tried the dog's powder but my dogs wouldn't eat their dinner with it in at all ...

I had the same problem. Maybe it works but it's hard to tell when your dog will not voluntarily ingest the stuff. And in my case, the dog in question is a filthy glutton who'll eat anything you put in front of him, which leads me to think it can't taste that good to some dogs.

Its interesting my really picky girl was super fussy but I persisted with her because it was a case of had tried most other options and nothing was really helping and now she eats it no problems at all.

Cowanbree - There was a post this afternoon on the rose-hip vital canine facebook page that says the product will soon be available in New Zealand. Not sure if your the one who already commented but just a heads up :).

Edited by ness

It works really well for me so I tried the dog's powder but my dogs wouldn't eat their dinner with it in at all ...

I had the same problem. Maybe it works but it's hard to tell when your dog will not voluntarily ingest the stuff. And in my case, the dog in question is a filthy glutton who'll eat anything you put in front of him, which leads me to think it can't taste that good to some dogs.

My dog eats it no problem, sprinkled on her dinner. I have it mixed into my cereal & I don't mind the taste :) It gets stuck in my teeth sometimes.

My dog eats it no problem, sprinkled on her dinner. I have it mixed into my cereal & I don't mind the taste :) It gets stuck in my teeth sometimes.

I tried all the usual tricks- out-stinking the powder with things he loves (peanut butter and fish) and mixing it thoroughly through his food but no go. Funny thing is, he'll eat other powdered things like Livamol (which can have big, grainy chunks in it) so I don't think it's texture.

I had this issue too and it was our beagle that wouldn't eat it and she is a walking vacuum. I even tried mixing a teaspoon in a 200gram tub of yoghurt and giving her the whole tub - nope, totally refused the yoghurt. I persisted for a bit and she didn't get any better about eating it and I also found it did not mix into other food very well.

I had this issue too and it was our beagle that wouldn't eat it and she is a walking vacuum. I even tried mixing a teaspoon in a 200gram tub of yoghurt and giving her the whole tub - nope, totally refused the yoghurt. I persisted for a bit and she didn't get any better about eating it and I also found it did not mix into other food very well.

I'm guessing it's one of those things dogs will either eat or totally hate. My disguise of peanut butter mushed up with tinned sardines is one of the old dog's most favourite things (it smells deathly and would -have- to cover the fairly neutral smell of rose hips).

I still have 2/3rds of a tub left so might try feeding some to two of the other dogs. Should be interesting.

My two BCs are quite happy towoof it down - usually I just dump it on a spoonful of yoghurt on top of their kibble, but they'll eat it happily even if I don't have the yoghurt. Maybe they're beagles in nlack and white coats :laugh: . And it's one of those things that's hard to prove, but my guys certainly seem to do well on it - touch wood.