A B C Radio Program

persephone

LINK HERE

excerpt:

Over half of Australians own pets, dogs are the most popular, followed closely by cats. Modern day pet ownership in the West has changed a lot in 50 years. Now pets are considered companion animals with owners referred to as guardians. Dogs are allowed inside, on the couch and even in the bed.

This humanisation of pets is particular to Western societies and is not shared across cultures. In fact, some cultures don’t even have a concept of pet ownership. So why own pets? Is it evolutionary? Is it good for your health? Or is it cultural?

I haven't listened to the program but I know that pet ownership is good for my health. I could not survive without a dog. :D Someone once suggested to me that an affinity with dogs and animals was genetic. I have often wondered. I think it might be.

I don't refer to dogs as "companion animals" and I am not my dogs guardian, I am their owner. I refuse to buy into the AR bullcrap, although they live in the house and sleep where they please.

I agree with dog guardian being from AR, but "Companion animal" is used to describe "pet animals" in science. In my Animal Science degree, in subjects ranging from Animal Welfare and Behaviour, to Anatomy and Physiology, and Genetics, the term is used. We sometimes have a choice between text books that focus on either Livestock or Companion Animals.