A Heart Warming Story For A Friday Evening

Leah82

it's not exactly news so I'm going to use that excuse to put this here instead of the news section

http://proof.nationalgeographic.com/2014/07/10/hero-dogs-more-than-a-best-friend/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_fb20140726pr-dogbestfriend&utm_campaign=Content&sf3772017=1

Who's got their own little hero at home? I know mine have saved me from the monotony of a desk job for the rest of my life and I'm now just beginning a new career which means I'll get to spend more time with them and other dogs

I think dogs allow soldiers to show emotion during what must be terrifying and overwhelming times of needing to remain in full control. A pat, a scruff on the neck, little things can enable a small connection to another living thing. There are plenty of stories of soldiers all fussing, spoiling or worrying over a canine mascot in a way that may not be cool to do with a fellow soldier. You may not make sure your mate has water on a hot day because you'd come across a bit of a wuss but you can bet you'd make sure a hot dog had a drink. A good dog is also very reliable and of course always living in the moment so imagine in chaos being able to cling on to something so grounding and real. I'm sure some of those soldiers couldn't even put into words how important those dogs were to their emotional survival.

My two previous rescue sbt's (now deceased due to old age) got help for me when I lived on acreage and fell down my front stairs and knocked myself unconscious. Those same two dogs protected me from harm during a home invasion too. My current sbt is my heart girl and I am so full of love for that cheeky monkey that I do think I love her like I would a child. She is very intuitive and recently she has been staying up very late with my sister (who has insomnia) and going to bed with her rather than coming to bed early with me. She has not been getting into bed with me till maybe an hour or two after my sister falls asleep. I actually think she feels my sister needs her company at present as she is going through a funk.

So yep, I've got a hero!