I Don't Understand

OK so I'm flicking through petrescue and of course I have a soft spot for the cockers so I came across this little guy

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/304700

8 months old from a breeding facility and he must be adopted with his friend Rosie, so I check out Rosie's listing...

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/304698

Here she is with pretty much the exact same description, rescued from a breeding facility and needing lots of rehab.

Why would they insist these 2 dogs be sent to the same home where they are only going to feed off each other's anxieties! Surely they would be better off being rehomed with a well balanced existing dog, and they are only 8 months old after all, they have plenty of time to develop healthy bonds rather than what appears to be co-dependency.

Anyway I just wanted to rant but if anyone can shed some light on the situation by all means.

Depends on the dogs. Depends on their needs.

Sometimes pairs go their own way once settled, sometimes complete strangers bond in foster care and you can't split them.

It appears by the description that the shelter has staff and trainers who have made the assessment as to what both dogs need and adopters agree to ongoing support which is about as good a setup as you could wish.

Without knowing everything, we can't assume they (or anyone) are rehoming as a pair because of some misguided human wanting of fairytale endings. I've noticed people complain more vehemently about it being ridiculous when they actually want one dog and not the other.

It doesn't appear as if they're fobbing off the dogs to just anyone who turns up & points to them. It clearly says that anyone whose interest is raised by the Pet Rescue entries, has to come along & talk with shelter staff.... even before they actually meet the dogs. When we were younger, I'd have been interested in exploring a pair like this ... & the fact that they're a pair would likely give them some reassurance in a change to a new home. I doubt if there'd be many pet owners willing & able to take this on (& no blame attached for that) ... but some exist and the ads set out the parameters ... & the screening process starts with the applicant/s.

If I sound like the perfect companion for you and you think you can help me continue my rehabilitation, please visit my human friends at RSPCA Burwood East to have a chat with them – they would love to learn more about you. If you seem like the perfect match for me, my human friends at the RSPCA will arrange for you to meet me. A following statement says to be adopted with the 'friend'.

We bought a purebred sheltie (from an excellent bloodline & in excellent condition) that had been kept solely for showing. She had no socialization beyond the breeder, no experience of the outside world & no experience of everyday living in a house. In fact, the breeder told us all that ... he was only selling her as a pet because she'd grown too big for showing (& breeding). She needed a lot of learning ...& we were more than happy to do it. Like, she'd never been up steps, nor outside on a footpath, nor in a car... and all those frightened her witless. I remember the tiny, tiny steps needed to get her to walk even a few feet out on the footpath.... or up the stairs.

I suppose the reason I thought it was weird was because when Sarah was surrendered to rescue from a breeding facility another poodle x cocker was surrendered at the same time. The rescue had a lot of inquiries from people wanting to adopt both of them but they expressed that it would only inhibit their rehabilitation and they needed to be adopted separately by people with existing dogs.

Looking at the RSPCA adoption ads as a whole I do see some general discrepancies between them and other rescues. They seems to have a preference to adopt dogs out to homes where they have no existing pets where as a lot of rescues generally prefer it if you already have a dog.

I understand that there are dogs that prefer to be an only pet but from my experience these are the exception rather than the rule

Obviously we don't know the full story, but I agree with you Leah, that based just on what I can read there it doesn't make much sense to me that these dogs could not be rehomed separately, and that in actual fact it would be more beneficial than rehoming them together.

The RSPCA here on the Central Coast certainly don't prefer adoptions go as only dogs. They do ask that all potential adopters bring their existing dogs to the shelter for a meet and greet which helps stop them being returned. Our shelter isn't your average though, they actively work with rescue :)

Many RSPCA facilities have professional behaviourist - some DOLers in fact . I'd be pretty certain that they would have assessed these dogs and wouldn't have made the call of rejoining together lightly.

Definitely an interesting question.

A few years ago I had a couple of badly abused rescued dogs from different country pounds that met each other in my home, I've never seen such a strong bond between two dogs and it took over 6 months but eventually I found a home that was pretty near perfect. 1 was really bad when I got her, the other was slightly older and not so bad and very scared of men. Both came a long way and supported each other, it was quite amazing.

I have generally found that my own dogs have been a great example to dogs that need to heal and learn, it takes time and patience.

Hopefully they'll find breed experienced owners and as these dogs are young, they will continue to develop in the right home environment. Hopefully the RSPCA are spending a lot of time with them.

I recently visited an RSPCA facility and saw a dog trainer working with a dog to make her more rehomable, there might be more going on behind the scenes here than we would know.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad