Omg. People Again.

denali

Just had to have a little rant about the stupidity of people once again.

My coworker was trelling me yesterday about her plan to create a breed like the dog she currently owns.

She has GSD x Samoyed. And wants to recreate this dog.

So she was telling me all about how she is going to get a GSD girl from a good breeder with papers and then a samoyed to create puppies.

Then she was going to find another GSD x Samoyed pup, buy that and breed the two puppies. Then call them 'Shepoyeds' and sell them. She was a vet nurse and knows all about the things that can go wrong with puppies, and the horrors of BYB puppies,yet wants to do this anyway!

Also feel that mixing GSD and samoyed could end badly if the pup fell into the wrong hands.Surely, they would need lots of stimulation. And grooming :eek:

I wanted to :banghead: and :scold: but she seems pretty set in her ideas.

So GSD and Samoyed breeders beware..

I find the best way to deal with people like this is to ask them LOTS of questions and hope they realise how unprepared and stupid they are being.

For this person I'd start with

Are you planning on health testing the parents?

How would you know what their temperament would be like when they are older to match them to good homes?

How would you make sure the puppies didn't end up with owners that wouldn't leave them in the backyard all day and ignore them?

Would you take a puppy back if someone had heath or temperament troubles with their dog, or if they decided they couldn't copy with it?

etc etc

Obviously she thinks because she was a vet nurse she's more than qualified to breed a litter of puppies, although it's doubtful she's thought any further than 8 weeks and $$

Although personally I am against cross breeding I do acknowledge that most of our breeds came about because breeds were crossed. however, in the vast majority of cases they breeds chosen to be crossed were done so with a purpose....that of developing a breed for a specific task.

With the current trend to cross breed there does not seem to be any purpose to the cross other than to have something with "oodle" in the name or because the human involved "likes" the dog they have an want to replicate it. Do they not realise the chances of that are pretty remote on a long term basis?

I know. Sometimes i lose faith in humanity, because I realise so many people are idiots..

I am sure i have my idiotic moments, but i like to think my non idiocy outweighs that :laugh:

I find the best way to deal with people like this is to ask them LOTS of questions and hope they realise how unprepared and stupid they are being.

For this person I'd start with

Are you planning on health testing the parents?

How would you know what their temperament would be like when they are older to match them to good homes?

How would you make sure the puppies didn't end up with owners that wouldn't leave them in the backyard all day and ignore them?

Would you take a puppy back if someone had heath or temperament troubles with their dog, or if they decided they couldn't cope with it?

etc etc

Obviously she thinks because she was a vet nurse she's more than qualified to breed a litter of puppies, although it's doubtful she's thought any further than 8 weeks and $$

Good plan, i think i will ask her all of these next time I have a shift with her.

I don't think she has thought about it at all.

Also think that the liklihood of producing a dog that looks just like hers does is rather slim :laugh:

I think its her way of having her dog live forever :(

Although personally I am against cross breeding I do acknowledge that most of our breeds came about because breeds were crossed. however, in the vast majority of cases they breeds chosen to be crossed were done so with a purpose....that of developing a breed for a specific task.

With the current trend to cross breed there does not seem to be any purpose to the cross other than to have something with "oodle" in the name or because the human involved "likes" the dog they have an want to replicate it. Do they not realise the chances of that are pretty remote on a long term basis?

i agree with this 100%.

I am aware there are breeds still undergoing development now and trying to get recognised formally. Like the Murray river retriever (and bull arabs are too, aren't they? Not 100% sure there)

She isn't trying to create the Shepoyed for any productive reason. Just to have a cute pet like the one she's grown up with.

So many years ago now, I can always recall my grandparents telling us about how they selected their dogs for breeding.

One of the points stressed was the chance(s) of failure and dogs not in good health.

I have seen my Grandfather wiping his eyes after letting a weak sick puppy go.

But his reasons were for the good of his breeding plan, never for money.

:cry:

I think its her way of having her dog live forever :(

and there lies the problem with cross breeds, it just doesn't happen that way :(

I'm doing a grooming course at the moment and one of the other students has a cav x poodle. She made a comment that she loves oodles even after meeting Sarah and getting the whole puppy farm story :mad

Point out to her that puppy purchases come under the same consumer laws that white goods do & that she could land in strife if the puppies sold were not satisfactory. But please someone, correct me if that is wrong :) I pointed this out recently to a dumb guy who had just bought a cute oodle thing & was already planning on how he was going to mate it with his Brutus (another oodle thing, but not so cute) Sadly I think it went in one ear & out the other....some people are really dumb :(

Genetics is a funny thing, the chance of getting something like she has is very remote. Think of all the skeletons in that cupboard! Even with two unrelated dogs of the same breed, a total outcross mating is a real shot in the dark

Genetics is a funny thing, the chance of getting something like she has is very remote. Think of all the skeletons in that cupboard! Even with two unrelated dogs of the same breed, a total outcross mating is a real shot in the dark

Agree;... After one large litter of pups with all the work and mess they cause; may make her rethink her plans to continue breeding more..

Sounds like an add in my local buy sell recently asking for something to the effect of, "Want to buy female dalmation puppies and male german shepherd puppies'. Note the plurals on both of those, I can only imagine they are planning some sort of fluffy, spotty dog. :mad

Despite her knowing my views, my sister mated her two byb boxers (male with a very dodgy temp). Things have not turned out as planned

• Bitch had to have an emergency c-section
  • 5 puppies born (they thought they lost all of them)
  • 3 days on they lost 2 in one morning - one wasn't thriving and they think the second was squashed
  • Remaining 3 weren't putting on much weight so she started supplementary feeding
  • They just lost a 3rd (so now only 2 left) - I got greeted with the heart breaking sight of the bitch carrying the dead pup the other day frown.gif it was awful
  • Bitch's milk has stopped and she was very stressed. They have had to pull out the remaining 2 pups and are exhausted looking after them full time

She admitted it has not been the wonderful experience she had thought it would be.

Idiot icon_smile_mad.gif

People just have no idea. Are they willing to take pups/adults back if something happens? That kind of cross, people are NOT going to be prepared for what they have. It has been 6 years since I stopped breeding, for personal reasons, and I have fully welcomed two grand-pups of mine back home. Would they do the same? One is requiring a LOT of re-wiring, IFYKWIM, and the other is doing amazingly. Both were returned for different reasons, but they are both equally loved, and no amount of money will be spared to make sure that they are happy. Can she provide that?

I even had to do a part of the talk with my SO. He wanted to get a Dobe right away, to replace our baby boy that passed two weeks ago. I had to explain to him, that although the pup would show some of the same breed mannerisms as our big guy, he/she would NOT be the same dog.

Unfortunately, people will do what they want to do, especially if it means re-creating their heart dog. Who of us wouldn't want our baby girls or baby boys back? At least for most of us, we know that it will never be possible.

The designer dog was the worse decision the first person ever made - I assume it started with the 'labradoodle' and expanded from there?

I remember as a kid, cross breeds were sold for less money than a vaccination, or at the very least to cover the vaccinations...now some of them cost more than a purebred. :mad

Unfortunately, while vets and 'dog people' keep telling people that crosses are healthier, this trend will never go away. The types of dogs now being crossed is just stupid. I saw a cross between a goldie and a yellow lab - er, hello!! What are they expecting the dog to turn out?? A long haired Labrador?? Ha ha.