Why Are Smart People So Dumb?

MadWoofter

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think a lot of people both like the concept of "new breeds" (read anything ending with "oodle"), and there are also quite a few people thinking up "breed" names for their various crosses in order to make a buck (original sounding names for "breeds" sell like hotcakes).

Used to be you could look in the trading post and see lots of oops litters of crossbreeds free to a good home... nowadays, people are whacking stupid names on the crosses and charging huge bucks for them... beggars belief really.

T.

i saw this add today which annoyed the heck outta me

{link deleted by quoter}

Especially this bit " Both were professionally bred,"

I'm not sure that it's within forum rules to actually post a link of that type that but in the case of that particular cross, favoured of puppy farms, perhaps "professionally bred" in the sense of "the oldest profession" is accurate. sick2.gif

I take your point, though, it definitely would be misleading to the general public, including that poor owner. I bet they were really cute as puppies. frown.gif

Is there any chance that there is a small breed rescue close to you that you could alert to that pair? At least they are desexed so no danger from that side of it. :)

Edited to add - I've just looked at the "additional info" section of that ad and the owner has been completely hoodwinked by the puppy farm, as he has written YES to the pedigree papers? question even though he is aware they are crosses of two different breeds. He hasn't used a "designer breed" name or anything. Perhaps the puppy farm supplied him with a document giving the names of each parent for the dogs and he honestly believes that equates to pedigree papers.

Exactly the kind of lack of education that we are talking about. Maybe the next home will equally proudly believe that they own a pair of pedigreed cross breeds. Oh by the way I do not apologise for being judgemental of that breeder.

opps sorry, i wasnt sure about the link bit. i have sent the add to my local small breed rescue so maybe they will be able to help and keep these 2 together :)

its so easy to see how the general public can get caught though :(

We have to accept that there are many in the public who do not want to go to the welfare and get themselves a rescue dog but instead would like to bring a puppy into their home.....

Personally I don't wish to remove this right from a family to go and get a pup of their choosing.... after all it is important for future generations of humans - remember that many now are living in big houses on small blocks and often minute landscaped gardens with fake grass..... to have a dog is often the first real contact kids have with 'mother nature'.... Lifestyles have changed in the last 30 years and families have different needs from their dog so we have to consider that there are many breeds that no longer are suitable for the average family, hence we see the small/medium sized 'OOdles' fitting the mould that might be better suited.

So why do so many of these families pay big bucks to the petshops and online commercial breeders - Well I run training classes / boarding kennels and am also a breeder, so understand a great deal where many of these families are coming from. these are common senarios I have come across.

1. Perhaps they think of getting a pedigree dog and often they ring around and email breeders (often from DOL) - but no one gets back to them..... so eventually just go and look elsewhere.

2. Often families look up breeders sites online but then come across comments about having to agree to contracts etc. which sounds very complicated and at times I have looked up these contracts and been surprised at how negative they are towards the future pet owner.

3. Have met Families who have visited breeders to see pups (sometimes more than once) even thought they were getting a particular pup in the litter and then to receive an email or have it posted on facebook that they have been unsuccessful in getting a pup. Not even the good manners to ring and explain.

4. Families have contacted Dogs Vic for information and listings - however there are no pups on record and even those that are are so out of date and pups are already homed.

5. Public don't understand that it could take 3-12 months to get a pup.....

6. Families have purchased dogs from registered breeders and not received paperwork even 12 months later......!!!!!

Pure Dog Breeders need to be more professional in the way we treat enquiries from the public.... we are often the first port of call and we are the ones who create the impression... For the public it is a daunting process as many of the breeders are difficult to talk to and often come across as judgemental....

Just consider some of the threads here where DOL members are very judgemental about how and who they will sell their puppies.

So where else can the public get dogs if not from us.... they have to resort to petshops or online.

:thumbsup:

We have to accept that there are many in the public who do not want to go to the welfare and get themselves a rescue dog but instead would like to bring a puppy into their home.....

Personally I don't wish to remove this right from a family to go and get a pup of their choosing.... after all it is important for future generations of humans - remember that many now are living in big houses on small blocks and often minute landscaped gardens with fake grass..... to have a dog is often the first real contact kids have with 'mother nature'.... Lifestyles have changed in the last 30 years and families have different needs from their dog so we have to consider that there are many breeds that no longer are suitable for the average family, hence we see the small/medium sized 'OOdles' fitting the mould that might be better suited.

So why do so many of these families pay big bucks to the petshops and online commercial breeders - Well I run training classes / boarding kennels and am also a breeder, so understand a great deal where many of these families are coming from. these are common senarios I have come across.

1. Perhaps they think of getting a pedigree dog and often they ring around and email breeders (often from DOL) - but no one gets back to them..... so eventually just go and look elsewhere.

2. Often families look up breeders sites online but then come across comments about having to agree to contracts etc. which sounds very complicated and at times I have looked up these contracts and been surprised at how negative they are towards the future pet owner.

3. Have met Families who have visited breeders to see pups (sometimes more than once) even thought they were getting a particular pup in the litter and then to receive an email or have it posted on facebook that they have been unsuccessful in getting a pup. Not even the good manners to ring and explain.

4. Families have contacted Dogs Vic for information and listings - however there are no pups on record and even those that are are so out of date and pups are already homed.

5. Public don't understand that it could take 3-12 months to get a pup.....

6. Families have purchased dogs from registered breeders and not received paperwork even 12 months later......!!!!!

Pure Dog Breeders need to be more professional in the way we treat enquiries from the public.... we are often the first port of call and we are the ones who create the impression... For the public it is a daunting process as many of the breeders are difficult to talk to and often come across as judgemental....

Just consider some of the threads here where DOL members are very judgemental about how and who they will sell their puppies.

So where else can the public get dogs if not from us.... they have to resort to petshops or online.

Number 6 happened to me actually, 5 years ago with Henry.

Bought him as a registered dog, from a registered breeder, i never met her as she lived not interstate but rather far away.

She seemed excellent, skyped all her dogs for me to see, scanned through all relevant health test results and pedigrees of sire and dam.

When we got Henry she said she would send through the papers in the mail but never did.

He was shipped to us, and I have no idea where she disappeared to..

I tried stalking Dogzonline for her page, and the sire and dam to no avail. So i have a papered dog but no proof he is papered..