Major Surgery With A Drain

Ivy had major surgery a week ago yesterday, to remove lipomas.

Everything is going awesome and she's healing really well. No issues at all. She wears old t-shirts 24/7 to stop her touching the wound and to keep the drained fluid from dripping on the floor etc. I honestly think she loves wearing clothes. Green suits her the best :laugh:

So my question is [i have just sent a text to our vet to ask the same question] ... What is the best time frame to have the stitches removed, with the drain? Will the drain do its job because it is a drain, even when the wound has healed?

The wound is massive, from the top of her shoulder, down to the bottom of her rib cage. You can see the scar from her first lipoma removal back in 2012.

Here is a photo, taken a few days ago.

post-51081-0-50809100-1404272554_thumb.jpg

Edited by english.ivy

My girl had a lipoma removed and had a drain. It was a big wound. Her drain came out after a couple of days. Stitches at about 2 weeks, her stitches stayed in a bit longer as we had some issues early on with her rubbing them.

Thanks. Didn't expect the vet to text back so quickly! He said drain out in a day or two and stitches out in another week.

Sounds about right Jules :) Though I had a hell of a time with Ivy last operation. But since putting a t-shirt on her, we've been fine!! I've just had to find stuff I don't want anymore and do lots of hot washing loads so they are as clean as possible for her to wear again.

Edited by english.ivy

Thanks. Didn't expect the vet to text back so quickly! He said drain out in a day or two and stitches out in another week.

Sounds about right Jules :) Though I had a hell of a time with Ivy last operation. But since putting a t-shirt on her, we've been fine!! I've just had to find stuff I don't want anymore and do lots of hot washing loads so they are as clean as possible for her to wear again.

Usually the drain can come out when the discharge is 'clear'. Most times there is little discharge in any case.

Hugs to both of you

:hug:

Wow Jules, that is hardcore and so stressful on you too. She healed OK though?

Well I have booked an appointment with our vet this morning and let him decide if the drain comes out or not. Thankfully our vet doesn't charge anything else at all to do with the operation with aftercare etc. So if it needs to stay in a bit longer, that is OK.

Yes it was very stressful. The ace worked really well and the wound started to heal normally. A doped up border collies is much easier to look after too :laugh: I wasn't allowed to leave her alone for the 2 weeks though. As I am single that was a pain. I had to drop her in at the vets for them to look after so I could go and get my food shopping etc.