Owner Exaggerations

raineth

Greyhounds rarely get to full speed when playing. I once let Pia have a run with some other dogs and basically she did laps while all the other dogs chased her lol. She would let them all catch up, then she'd switch gears and leave them in her dust. A Greyhound or Whippet at full speed will beat any other breed no question.

Yup. nods head. :D

Unless the distance is about 2 or 3 km. ;-)

But yes, agree otherwise. A non-sighthound outpacing a grey or a whippet at any distance is unlikely unless the grey or whippet has some kind of significant problem.

I actually agree with all comments regarding the speed of Greys and Whippets because they are such fast runners. I would love to really race Zeus in a Whippet or Grey race because he is such a bloody fast runner -- it's hard to describe because he has amazing stamina and can really hoon vast distances without getting puffed. That's why I'd never say Zeus is faster than a Grey or Whippet purely because it's highly doubtful and in a dog park situation, the ones we've met more than likely weren't running at full speed -- there's just not enough room!

Being a mutt too makes it hard because he does have personality traits of sighthounds too; he's built lean, lanky and long-limbed like sighthounds and he's also a very keen observer despite having an obvious beagle nose! I've also had trouble teaching him to leave out cat alone; he's fine provided she's not moving but as soon as she does move, all bets are off. :( I keep them separate because of this. He's one interesting dude who just loves to keep me guessing!

Edit: I just love all your photos of your gorgeous, gentle giants Grumpette! :love: Just beautiful! :heart:

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Whippets have running for fun, running kinda fast, running fast, then okay lets gets serious.

Our BC is very fit, very lean and very fast for a BC, he will try hard and cut corners and still not quite catch them, however they will run for a while and have quite good distance fitness for Whippets, however they have nothing on him.

He worked sheep for the most part of the day, then came home and went yaay you are playing ball, pickme, pickemeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

They could never keep up with that!

Yep I've found the other breeds although slower than my whippets have more stamina if they're fit and can wear a whippet down. That's how they'll catch them, when the whippet's had enough and wants to stop. It's a bit like the tortoise and the hare. :laugh: