Money Hungry People :-(

mumof4girls

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh I think you will find that situation much closer even than South America...I'm thinking the Indian subcontinent with pai dogs living among, but not with, humans.

And possibly even camp dogs here in Australia, although I think their lot has largely improved over the last decade or two.

Sigh , it was just an observation and if you were there you may have made the same one , seeing a situation and then reading it can be very different .,

I believe you and your opinion is just as valid as everyone else's. I've seen it myself, with zero guesswork or assumptions or animal rights mythology. Skeletal, huge torn hernias, prolapse, mammary cancer, epilepsy, crippled, senior etc etc they still fall pregnant and as long as they produce live litters they will continue to be mated. Given the apparent small percentage of registered breeders I believe a large number of pups come from elsewhere and with two motivations. Ignorance and/or money.

But Skeletal, huge torn hernias, prolapse, mammary cancer, epilepsy, crippled, etc can all happen with one litter or some of them no litters. Seeing it and assuming over breeding has caused it doesn't fit what we know through experience and research.

This was supposed to be about well looked after bitches in family homes who may have back to back litters as per the OP = not puppy farms and bitches in awful general condition

I clearly said I hadn't assumed.

Sorry not sure what you mean - bitches with these conditions can be bred and sadly are bred but these conditions are not ordinarily caused by over breeding.

My comments regarding assumptions were in consideration of the assumptions made by the OP.

Edited by Steve

I clearly said I hadn't assumed.

bitches with these conditions can be bred and sadly are bred but these conditions are not ordinarily caused by over breeding.

thumbsup1.gif

Which is the whole point.

Back to back breeding is NOT automatically harmful to a bitch if all care is taken and the bitch is kept in the peak of health at all times.

It is forbidden because too many are careless and uninformed and do NOT keep their dogs in the peak of health.

Also people who would say back to back breeding is cruel even if bitch are puppies are given best care and in good health because they feel it is a drudgery on the bitch have obviously never watched a litter being reared by a good mum.

If a bitch doesn't like and enjoy rearing puppies, it is pointless to breed from her again (ever) because you are creating a hell of a lot of extra work for yourself to rear those puppies as well as a good mum could.

All of my non-maiden bitches wanted to be with and help care for the babies of other bitches (not that I usually allowed this) because they loved and enjoyed it. And that is not an uncommon scenario in many breeds.

So it is not intrinsically evil to back to back breed, or even to breed every heat until the bitch passes middle age. But too many people have done this in ways that have damaged the bitch, so it is forbidden.