Tracking For An Older Dog

So now im living in Melbourne and have more chances to do things with my dog ive been looking at what might be suitable for him. Toby is a 10 year old Golden Retriever with arthritis, he is still doing well and is reasonably fit for his age but the only thing I can think of is tracking. So would tracking be suitable for dog like Toby?

Tracking would be fine. My oldie started tracking at 10 (as a retirement activity from agility and obedience). Ended up getting her track 3 2 months before she turned 13. Probably could have gone further but we only entered 1 or 2 trials a year because of the season being so short. I did toy with bringing her out again (she is coming up for 14) this year but no real time to train. She came out with us to help plot tracks for the last trial though.

Thanks Ness that's good to hear and good on your old girl :) I think tracking might be the activity for us I know he will love it, he always has his nose to the ground :laugh:

Nekhbet what is scent detection?

We just started a foundation to scent sports (scent tracking) and so far Scottie loves it. He's really taken to hunting chicken out of cardboard boxes (week one homework) like a duck to water.

They say its for any dog with a nose. Scottie is 10 and we're just doing it for enrichment / something fun to do together.

I'm in sydney but this victorian group have come up a lot during my recent google searches. www [DOT] k9 nosetime [DOT] com

• 2 weeks later...

We just started a foundation to scent sports (scent tracking) and so far Scottie loves it. He's really taken to hunting chicken out of cardboard boxes (week one homework) like a duck to water.

They say its for any dog with a nose. Scottie is 10 and we're just doing it for enrichment / something fun to do together.

I'm in sydney but this victorian group have come up a lot during my recent google searches. www [DOT] k9 nosetime [DOT] com

K9 nosetime is based at Hills District in NSW.

Thank you for this..... just looked at the site. Classes might be available close to where I live. What a bonus.

With a young Vizsla, I am looking for activities to stimulate him.

Thank you so much.

:heart:

LOL. Right you are. I was SURE they were vic based - but had googled many pages - possibly confused.

The course we're doing is through Australian Canine Sports and training centre in box hill / kellyville

http://www.lovesdogs.com.au

LOL. Right you are. I was SURE they were vic based - but had googled many pages - possibly confused.

The course we're doing is through Australian Canine Sports and training centre in box hill / kellyville

http://www.lovesdogs.com.au

I was only aware as we've had them down to help out at a workshop day we ran.

But there is a group based in Vic that has a similar name so you're not far off.. :)