Best Kibble

Hi everyone

sorry to bombard the forum with another kibble thread. I searched for a similar thread which I am sure is still there it's just I can't find it.

Long story short, I went to the shop to get the new pup her Advance today and asked the bloke about Black Hawk for my 2 year old shepherd which she is currently on. He says he now rates BH at the bottom end of the quality scale and said he wouldn't get it. My girl hasn't got much BH left in the bag I have an is not fond of it atm.

I know this is just one bloke's opinion, but interested in what others think and which brand would be a good one to look at for an active 2 yr old?

Thanks heaps guys :)

My two guys have been on BH for most of their lives. I alternate between the lamb & the fish. I have no reason to change as my guys love their BH & they do well on it. But not every food suits all dogs.

I tried Blackhawk recently and my dogs seemed to get upset stomachs with it so I wouldn't buy any more.

I've bought some really expensive food over the years (Canidae etc) and honestly, mine really like Optimum from the supermarket and don't have any issues with it so I think i'll just stick with it.

Black Hawk made my dogs flabby and soft, but as perse says the best food for any dog ....

I prefer mostly raw but I have never had a problem with using "low end" food like Bonnie - all ours are currently on Bonnie Working and doing great, but they get raw too.

For a brief time ours were on Nutro and I would go back to that if I won the lottery.

Depends on what you want from your kibble (other than the obvious).

In our home its grain free, followed by palatability.

I rarely take advice from a store attendant - I prefer to research and know what I want before I even step foot in a store.

We do well on a mix of high end kibble (Ziwipeak) and chicken mince or supermarket grain free wet as well as a raft of other tempting treats.

If I were you I'd be writing up some lists of pros and cons. Protein content, other nutritional features you're after....

Wouldn't use it again here. Didn't agree with my male at all. Took me about 12 months to get his coat back to being healthy. I was using it for quite a few years but found when they went really big & changed the packaging the quality of the product went down hill IMHO.

It is very true though. It's what ever your dog does best on. I find we do well on Cannidae Pure Sea or Earthborn Holistic. ATM we are trying that new Sundays pet holistic which seems to be going well thus far :)

My dogs love and do well on Nutro, but also love and do well on Supercoat or Bonnie... do the maths to work out what they are being fed... *grin*

When I was fostering pups for rescue, they got Royal Canin Junior, and they all did really well on that... a good solid start with great food is a must with the fosters IMHO - especially as you have no idea what, if anything, solid foods they have been on prior to coming into care.

I do like the Royal Canin food, and the Nutro... but finances dictate Supercoat for mine at the moment.

T.

Thanks for your replies everyone :)

Yes it is just that one bloke's opinion but tbh Thea hasn't been fussed on her BH for a few months and her coat just seems a bit dull lately.

That is good advice Scottsmum. Maybe I need to do some research on which food contains what. I just want a good quality food for an active dog without all the grains and fillers ect. She has raw so just want something else to bulk it out with.

I would seek advice from people who have Shepherds that are in the kind of condition you want your dog to be in.

I'm pretty sure that RC do a breed specific one for GSDs. The GSD next door who is in superb condition is fed ProPlan.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I agree with Perse - whatever your dog does best on is best. I'm a raw feeder and so I don't feed dry except in emergencies. But I did try Black Hawk as the back- up food - but it made Sarah very itchy - and the moment I took her off it she stopped itching. But other dogs do very well on it. So it's what your dog does best on. In my case it's raw.

We have tried a few things, royal canin, which normally suits most people didn't agree with Gus, however supercoat was no problem when we ran out of the black hawk he wasn't excelling on. Go figure

I wasn't comfortable feeding supercoat long term, my own preference so rather than start scratch again we went all raw too.

Just further backs up that sometimes you can spend $100 on a bag of food which does nothing for your dog, who might do amazingly on goodos, for example.

If you want grain free I find Earthborn Holistic good, there are 3 different types with different proteins too, one chicken, one lamb, one fish and they are soon bringing out a chicken based Large Breed specific grain free.

We tried the Grain Free Holistic Select too but Nova wouldn't eat it.