When You Stay In Dog Friendly Accommodation

sheena

When staying in dog friendly accomodation  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you allow your dogs on the beds

• Always
    • Sometimes
    • Never

Yes, to me dog friendly means dogs are allowed inside wherever they want. I would always bring throws and my own doona anyway as I don't want anything to get dirty, but once I've covered everything Id let them on. If it was a place that said no dogs inside or on furniture etc, I wouldn't really consider it dog friendly.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs are allowed on my furniture so no they wouldn't be on furniture at an accommodation place. To me dog friendly means dogs are allowed and the fencing is safe for them. I am a bit :eek: that people would be letting them on someone else's furniture.

As others have said, I would only take our dogs to a place that allowed the dogs inside and on the bed. We have an old doona on the guest bed in case the dogs sleep there, and sheets on both the main bed and the sun bed where our dogs sleep. Makes it easier to keep clean. Mind you, makes us wonder why we buy nice bed linen when it can't be seen, LOL.

So if we stayed somewhere else, we would follow the same rules at home; taking washed bedding for the dogs to sleep on.

ETA: if the place requested no dogs inside or on the bed, we would not stay there.

Edited by poochmad

My dogs are allowed on my furniture so no they wouldn't be on furniture at an accommodation place. To me dog friendly means dogs are allowed and the fencing is safe for them. I am a bit :eek: that people would be letting them on someone else's furniture.

I'm with you Jules. I don't really see why the dogs have to sleep on the bed. What worries me more is that we have a large dam on the property which some people might like to let their dogs swim in & then allow them on the bed. Being on tank water would mean that there would not be oddles of water for washing dogs down. Maybe I should forget about the whole idea & just build myself a little studio in the magic spot I have in mind. :)

I'm with you Jules. I don't really see why the dogs have to sleep on the bed. What worries me more is that we have a large dam on the property which some people might like to let their dogs swim in & then allow them on the bed. Being on tank water would mean that there would not be oddles of water for washing dogs down. Maybe I should forget about the whole idea & just build myself a little studio in the magic spot I have in mind. :)

If that is what they are used to then it can be quite hard for them to come to terms with different arrangements :laugh:

Having said that, whilst my dog normally sleeps on my bed, I crate her when I stay at other people's homes, unless they say otherwise.

Personally I also wouldn't choose to stay somewhere where dogs were not allowed on beds and furniture if at all possible. The places I have stayed with my dog have either charged an extra cleaning fee or required that you bring your own bedding or rugs if the dogs are to go onto the furniture and bed. I think that works out well for everyone.

All sheets and the doona cover/quitls etc would surely be changed after each guest anyway? I would just have a clause syaing i'd charge an extra fee to cover the cost of a new doona if people did allow their wet/dirty dogs onto the bed and it seeped through to the doona itself.

I have allowed it before - but I take my own blankets for bed and couch (freshly clean) and cover everything up.

I have done this because I physically cannot fit his bed in the car along with him (giant dog = giant bed) so unless he slept on the floor, he'd have nowhere else to sleep.

I said yes, but they only reason they are allowed to is because I cover the bed/furniture with sheets (and they also have to dry!). My other issue is that if I tried to stop them then no one would get sleep. Hamish will happily sleep in the car or a trailer, but Kenzie only ever sleeps on the bed (on top of my legs) when she is in an unfamiliar environment when I've tried to get her to sleep elsewhere it means that no one gets to sleep!

Ok I admit it I put yes. My bad? But only my hairless Crestie...no odour, no fleas. And he sleeps in between the sheets just like us so they would be washed anyway. No way would the Rotti or the Boxer be on the bed...any human's bed. They have their own

No, my dogs rarely sleep on the bed at home and never when away. I usually put a cover on the lounge/couch when we are away in case they get up, but they sleep in crates if the rules about furniture are very strict.

can't reply on the poll but my answer is - whatever the rules are. If they are allowed in side, on the furniture then that's where they are, allowed inside but not on the furniture they are crated, not allowed inside they sleep in the car or trailer. Pretty easy really.

My dogs sleep on the bed with me because they can and I like them to. I don't really see why you don't like them to but each to their own :shrug:

The question was to be honest and I honestly wouldn't let my dogs on furniture if that's what the rules are but then again as others have said I wouldn't stay there if they couldn't.

I'm another one who sticks by the rules of the place I'm staying .. which I make sure I know up front. My two are allowed on furniture and bed if they wish, at home, but have no difficulty with not being allowed on furniture or on beds in dog friendly accommodation. They have their soft crates, which they often snooze in in the evenings (doors unzipped) and the sleep in with doors zipped when I can't supervise them.

I am really grateful for the great places we have stayed, in all states ... and I'd hate to see the supply reduced.

I'm another one who sticks by the rules of the place I'm staying .. which I make sure I know up front. My two are allowed on furniture and bed if they wish, at home, but have no difficulty with not being allowed on furniture or on beds in dog friendly accommodation. They have their soft crates, which they often snooze in in the evenings (doors unzipped) and the sleep in with doors zipped when I can't supervise them.

I am really grateful for the great places we have stayed, in all states ... and I'd hate to see the supply reduced.

If ever I build it..you are very welcome Tassie, but don't hold your breath :) I don't have a spare $100,000 laying around...but I can always have "ideas" :laugh:

Whatever the rules are.

If that is not on the furniture then so be it. I remember staying at one place who had allowed dogs inside but asked they not be on furniture/beds. After some previous people had left and they went to do their cleaning, they had allowed their on heat bitch to sit on every lounge chair and bed in the place leaving blood stains on everything that the owners then had to get cleaned. People may not understand why their darling is not allowed, but I can certainly understand accommodation places having rules as unfortunately many don't care one iota, and that is who they have to cater to.

One of the places I stay at has $10k couches! I didn't even want to sit on them :laugh:

Well...that's the thing....I would also like to make it "pretty" & I am not sure if "pretty" can co-habitate with dogs allowed on beds & furniture. I also want to have an enclosed area where dogs can exercise off-lead & enclose the agility field so dogs can practice. Every where else on the farm would have to be on-lead because of cattle & wildlife. Exception being for practicing their dock-diving off the jetty .

IMG_2838-Copy-reflections_zps2714868c.jpg

By the way...you are invited Jules...along with everyone else who has said that they would promise to keep the dogs off the bed & the furniture :)

Edited by sheena

Pretty + dogs is what I've struggled to find Sheena. I wouldn't stay at some of the really dog friendly places as they don't have the things that I need for me. I like spas, nice furniture etc :)

I do like an enclosed garden off of the the cottage/house so I can just tip them out for wees. A really secure run would also be good if I wanted to go out without them.

One of the places I stay at has $10k couches! I didn't even want to sit on them :laugh:

Well...that's the thing....I would also like to make it "pretty" & I am not sure if "pretty" can co-habitate with dogs allowed on beds & furniture. I also want to have an enclosed area where dogs can exercise off-lead & enclose the agility field so dogs can practice. Every where else on the farm would have to be on-lead because of cattle & wildlife. Exception being for practicing their dock-diving off the jetty .

IMG_2838-Copy-reflections_zps2714868c.jpg

By the way...you are invited Jules...along with everyone else who has said that they would promise to keep the dogs off the bed & the furniture :)

What an incredible shot!!!!!