Lagging While Heeling

I have an older springer girl, who I am planning on trialing, but I have noticed that she lags in heeling, only coming forward when I stop (and swinging out at a 45 degree angle then, but that is another issue) She has been taught to target a "target stick" I was wondering if I could use this? or any other suggestions?

You could use a target stick .. maybe getting her to work out wide, but level with you if that makes sense .. rewarding frequently for staying level. Then gradually bring the target stick in closer to you. Be careful only to reward level or even slightly ahead of you, and reward forward.

I'd suggest you don't use your heel cue while you're doing this .. she doesn't know what heel is yet. I'd be starting to teach it the way I would teach a puppy .. including just rewarding a static good heel position.

Little bits of high energy, heavily rewarded stiff is good. Toy reward is good too, if she likes toys. Check out Denise Fenzi's blog articles.

You need to teach the heel as a placement exercise, not a walking exercise. Heel means shoulder to your left leg, NOT walking by your side.

For the swinging out 45 degrees I use placement boxes. It's a 3 sided box that is just a bit wider then the dog. If they try and sit crooked they can't do it because the box is about 15-20cm high (depending on the dog) Their butts hang out the open back end of the box so they can walk into it and change between sit, drop and stand.

As for heeling start stationary. Say heel and wobbly your right leg around. Mark/reward for not moving. Then half stride forward with right leg, etc. Then with your right foot forward slowly move your left leg one step to meet your right, lure the dog into a straight position with food and mark/reward for following. You can allow licking if the dog is a real lagger. You need to do silly, small exercises so the dog understands it has to be glued to your leg. Then pace and direction will not matter. If you just treat it like a walking exercise you will always have problems.