Hairballs

LisaCC

Nova just vomited a hairball along with some grass and what looked like tendon from this mornings turkey neck.

This is the second time he's done this in a fortnight. Last time it was at 3am.

I know hairballs can cause blockages, is this something that I should get checked out at the vet straight away or is there something I can give him to help it pass?

I brush him daily, but he is a very clean dog. He will groom himself if he gets even a little bit dirty.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had trouble with Tatum and hair balls. I posted in the health thread a while ago. The first one she had was last year when she had a blockage which needed surgery and it proved to be a hair ball. And then last week she was a bit off and salivating a lot when she ate. She had been mated so I was assuming she was feeling nauseous due to that. But then tea one night she just flat out refused to look at it and I immediately thought blockage again. Took her to the vet who palpated and said no blockage and she probably was pregnant. As soon as we got home she vomited a hair ball the size of a fat sausage and has been fine ever since. Considering she's a Cavalier it was rather big! I've no idea why she is consuming all this hair. She doesn't over groom. The vet has suggested a teaspoonful of oil every day and a pinch of electrolytes on her meal in case she is seeking out salt or something. I'll be very interested in reading the replies you get.

Thanks Gretel. What type of oil did the vet suggest?

He had a can of sardines last night with dinner, I would think the oil in that would of helped.

I never thought Novas grooming could be seeking for salt. I have seen him lick dirt and mud before though so maybe electrolytes are a good idea.

Oh, I've just realised that one of mine has done this! I don't know which one as I've never seen anyone do it but I've just realised that I've found a couple of lumpy vomit things that would have been hair balls. I just never made the connection :o

Edited by Simply Grand

Oh, I've just realised that one of mine has done this! I don't know which one as I've never seen anyone do it but I've just realised that I've found a couple of lumpy vomit things that would have been hair balls. I just never made the connection :o

If it's Quinn, Aussie sized furball vomit is a good 10cm across and sloppy.

Sounds a plan :) - but ... when combined with other stuff , like grass/gristle the resulting mass could well be too large to pass thru the stomach sphincter anyhow - and vomiting oil is not advisable .

I suggest you Check with a vet - perhaps they can advise more correctly . I always gave paraffin to my cats regularly , and never had any trouble - and dogs who have any constipation also get a bit ...I guess with hair - it would be best before a large amount collects? (rather have them throw up than a lump get stuck ;) )