Does This Look "wrong" To Anyone Else?

Kirislin

This is my Italian Greyhound puppy Neko. I am sure she's got a problem with her lower back. I've already had her to Barry Haywood twice because I'd noticed she looked odd when she cantered. She seems fine at a trot which is all that is required in the showring, but I'm more interested in her being able to run freely and without pain or discomfort. I'm coming from a background in whippets so perhaps it's just a difference in running style, but to me she looks kind of inhibited, as if she cannot really stretch out, especially her left hind leg, which is the same one that looks funny when she canters. I think a whippet would be more extended in the hind legs here. Does anyone else think she looks "wrong"?

14276232892_22f232e6cf_z.jpg

I notice the 3rd photo of Tag from the left in my siggy at the bottom of my post is a similar pose and although he was only half pace galloping there his legs are more extended than hers, and she was running at a full gallop.

Edited by Kirislin

They're never extended evenly like you might imagine a bunny to hop, one is always further than the other, but she still looks too bunched up to me. I suspect it's to do with the sacro illiac problem than Barry has tried to correct twice, but she keeps putting it out again. :( I'm going to take this photo to him next time we visit.

I know nothing about Whippets/Italian Greys Kirislin but I recently noticed a very similar rear end action In my male 5 year old BC. His movement seemed very restricted in his rear end. Eg. when he would get up onto his raised bed he would literally bunny hop with his rear legs. His running action was also quite similar to your boys shown in the pic. at times. Sort of like he was saving his rear when he ran. This became more noticeable when he had been exercised & was becoming tired. I had a full spine/hips/legs Xray done. It turned out to be issues with both hips.

I'm no Vet but maybe an Xray may help you with some answers. Hope I was of some help.

Yeah it doesn't look quite right to me either, doesn't look like a free double suspension gallop.That hind leg really should be extended out like the other one. I hope you can get the issue sorted, good luck.

Perhaps physio could help? You can do basic massage and exercises at home. Helped immensely when Breeze tweaked a major muscle that was bothering her off and on for months. Not been a problem since.

Edited by kiwifeathers

It's a bugger, I take her to Barry, he fixes her and tells me to keep her quiet for a day or so, which in itself is near impossible, but I do my best. But as soon as she starts pelting around and ricocheting off the furniture and playing with other dogs I see her funny canter is back again. I think the muscles naturally want to pull her back into the wrong shape.

It's an expensive exercise for me to take her there too, a very long drive and the $$ cost all for about 2 days where she moves well and then back to this. I'm not criticising Barry, I'm sure he's fixing her, it just wont stay fixed. :(

Edited by Kirislin

Yeah it doesn't look quite right to me either, doesn't look like a free double suspension gallop.That hind leg really should be extended out like the other one. I hope you can get the issue sorted, good luck.

wow!!!! Been a long time since I read such an accurate description. :thumbsup:

Not sure if this going to be muscular? Wondering if there is a skeletal variation at the bottom of Nekko's spine?

Edited by VizslaMomma

wow!!!! Been a long time since I read such an accurate description. :thumbsup:

Not sure if this going to be muscular? Wondering if there is a skeletal variation at the bottom of Nekko's spine?

Barry would have picked it up if there was. I think it's just due to an injury she's done as a puppy wrestling with her brothers and as she's grown the muscles have got used to being pulled out of shape and want to stay that way. That's how I imagine it anyway, I might be wrong though.

It looks wrong to me, her lower back looks stiff and the hind legs not quite right. But it can be misleading to judge by just one photo and I am no expert.

Maybe she has strained the iliopsoas muscle on the left side? That's what one of my 'zoi did, and it took ages to figure out the problem.

Edited by Diva

It looks wrong to me, her lower back looks stiff and the hind legs not quite right. But it can be misleading to judge by just one photo and I am no expert.

Maybe she has strained the iliopsoas muscle on the left side? That's what one of my 'zoi did, and it took ages to figure out the problem.

Yes, she looks very straight in the back too doesn't she. It is a straighter back than some IGs I've seen but it looks rather wooden here. Her brother has a strained psoas muscle, Barry found that when I took both of them down a couple of weeks ago.

Well if he found one he would have found it on the girl too I assume. Perplexing.

I think it's just the same recurring problem she's having with the sacroiliac joint. I dont understand the mechanics of it but I'm guessing because she's had it for quite a while and I only picked it up when I watched her run at the park so then took her to see Barry. If I could get him to fix it and then somehow keep her quiet until it's settled down it might stay fixed. But she'd nearly have to be put into an induced coma for that to happen. (Mr Rolly eyes would go here if we still had him)

If you think it's a recurring thing, it might be worth building up the strength and awareness in her rear end? I do perch work and teach a bunch of tricks which really seem to help my dogs. I think Em has a lot of natural rear end strength and awareness but I can really see the difference it makes to Ziggy in agility and recovery as I've become more diligent with it. He used to get a little tight through his back and glutes when he was younger (I think it was crazy Dalmatian stuff - similar to crazy Iggy stuff) but he has improved out of sight.

If you think it's a recurring thing, it might be worth building up the strength and awareness in her rear end? I do perch work and teach a bunch of tricks which really seem to help my dogs. I think Em has a lot of natural rear end strength and awareness but I can really see the difference it makes to Ziggy in agility and recovery as I've become more diligent with it. He used to get a little tight through his back and glutes when he was younger (I think it was crazy Dalmatian stuff - similar to crazy Iggy stuff) but he has improved out of sight.

How do I do that? I am currently exercising myself to strenghten my lower back and hips, I wouldn't know how to make a tiny psycho Iggy do what I'm doing though :laugh:

How do I do that? I am currently exercising myself to strenghten my lower back and hips, I wouldn't know how to make a tiny psycho Iggy do what I'm doing though :laugh:

Heh, heh….you teach a lot of these things through shaping using a clicker or a marker word and some good treats. It takes patience and a sense of humour sometimes! I can't think of the perfect book or web source at the moment but if you googled rear end awareness dogs I think you'd go pretty well. This is my two doing perch work a few years ago…

I woudl think she should stretch out much more than that.

Sacroilliac issues can be a total pain to sort and stay sorted, I know from experience because mine give me a hell of a time quite often!

Woudl it be possible to keep her restricted even to a large puppy pen with a lid when inside and the on a lead outside as you don't want her losing muscle tone to help her heal before she does maddies and makes it go all sckew wiff again??