Guests And A New Dog

A friend commented on a photo of Mack, telling me he'd love to come and visit him. I said sure, come up whenever you like, he'd love to meet you! To that, he responded "I'm gonna wrestle him!'

Ah, no. No, you're not. I responded that wrestling is not something we encourage at home as its not something we want him to consider acceptable, but he has plenty of toys he loves to play tug with.

The response I got from that was less than pleasing, almost butthurt, like I'd told him he couldnt play with the dog at all :laugh: Mack is a young, impressionable boy who doesn't quite know his own strength. He's a big boofhead and loves to play, but we dont encourage rough-housing, wrestling or play biting because we dont enjoy that sort of thing due to his size. He's very smart and is learning quickly that toys are for flinging around and we are for cuddles.

I suppose my questions are, how did you approach this situation when your dog was young and/or in training? Did you have people want to come over and do as they please with the dog? Did you or do you tell people to treat the dog as you yourself would when they first walk through the door, as in only greet you first/turn away or push the dog off if they jump/ignore the dog until its calm or whichever method you use?

Thank god you stood up to your friend. What an idiot.

Your dog = your rules.

If someone wouldn't respect my wishes as to what people do or don't do with my dogs, they would not be welcomes in my home.

With regard to people coming over, if you know they are coming, make sure Mack cannot get to the door - shut him out the back with a toy or a treat. If they come unannounced, ask them to wait at the door while you put a lead on Mack and then calmly let them in while Mack is on his lead and cannot jump.

Just an anecdote: my sister made her dog into an hysterical wreck when people visited. Instead of doing the above, she'd start shrieking to someone to grab the dog and shut him away. It was horrible to see. Luckily, I wasn't around much, but saw the end result of her mismanagement. :( And it was the don't fault of course :mad

Your dog your responsibility to be happy with how strangers interact .Your request is very sensible but some people seem to think wrestling dogs is normal until the game doesn't end fun & yes like you encouraging good sound manners is important

Wrestle him :eek: Why do some people think this is how you interact with a dog????

Wrestling only gee's up your dog & is an open door for things to get out of hand. Unnecessary IMO. Glad you put him in his place. As others have said your dogs, your rules otherwise they don't get to hang out with him, period...

My OH had a casual mate & I didn't like the way he was around Stella. She is a nervy girl & he was always trying to take her 'sucky' toy off her & try to play tugs with it. Thought it was funny. On his third attempt I said not to take it off her & sent her away from him. He just really irritated me because he said she shouldn't have a 'dummy' as she isn't a baby, hahaha. But he got the message & OH doesn't mix with him anymore thankfully. My dog, my rules.

Edited by BC Crazy

I say it this way.

My house

My dog

My rules

If this scenario does not please you, don't even ring the door bell. You will be denied entry.

:mad

Where's the "like" button.

If someone cannot respect how you want your dog to be treated, then they don't interact. End of Story.

Guest donatella

If someone said that to me id presume they meant 'play' I would think wrestle literally...

People coming over to visit Maya always listen(ed) to me (particularly now she is entering maturity, and BIG) but I met plenty of people who wanted to ride her/huge full-body cuddles with her when I took her out and about. I just learned her body language when she had had enough of her admiring public, and laid down the ground rules. Didn't happen often, just enough for me to keep in practice.

I have a big greeting ceremony, it used to be for Jake but now it's largely just to get people to respect his space. There's a spare leash at the door and it's clipped on before I open and then people get read the instruction manual. Generally I can figure out who will be cool and who needs to be isolated and then Jake goes away. I think it's a good way to set the rules upfront. It's like those poor people who have dogs that jump up, they ask others not to encourage the dog and people happily pat the dog saying "I don't mind." Yep and there's another week of training in the toilet.

I don't have my dogs out when people come over unless I am confident they (dogs and people!) will behave appropriately.

But I am also one of those people who will easily say no when people ask if they can pat my dogs :)

Edited by huski