Million Paws Sydney

samoyedman

We had fun in Canberra :) I was surprised how many Shelties I saw, I counted at least 8 (which I know isn't a huge number but I don't often see them around!).

Also an Anatolian and a Leonberger (from the same family), a chocolate Newfie and several St Bernards.

Aside from all the dogs there were also a pig and a ferret in attendance :)

Edited by Simply Grand

Mel, I'm glad you didn't specify RSPCA Qld.... not surprising, when the subject is 'Sydney'. :) I was so disappointed that I couldn't go to the Brisbane Million Paws Walk today, because of ill health. My Tibbies love that day out & make friends with the nicest dogs. Last year it was with a gentleman standard poodle and two gigantic, sweet natured rotties. We are also supporters of AWL Qld.

Edited by mita

Each state is different... Qld are really stepping up to the plate in the last year or so, ACT have been good for a long time, SA is now getting great with Tim as the CEO. But NSW? It is absolutely appalling and don't deserve a cent from anyone. People giving them money just sends them the message that it is fine that they keep going the way they're going. That's why I wonder if people just don't know or if they know but don't care?

Edited by melzawelza

Yes, Mel, it does show that leadership is important and can shape policies differently.

It's pretty much the most important thing. You can't get anywhere without a leader that has their head in the right space. Unfortunately Steve Coleman has shown time and time again that he is there for the almighty dollar, not the animals. Until he goes nothing will change.

Edited by melzawelza

I don't take part in the MPW but I do know they have rescue stalls at the Gosford one. Somersby RSPCA here on the Central Coast do work with rescue, I know that first hand from sending two dogs to Tasmania, I cannot fault the shelter manager and the staff so there definitely has been a massive change at this shelter. Having said that 20 minutes in the other direction at Tuggerah Supa Centre they wanted nothing to do with us taking an emaciated greyhound out of the perspex box it was sitting in and into rescue :(

Edited by HazyWal

i'm always amazed too that so many go with no idea what they really do.

I think for many its just a fun day out with their dogs.

I would never give a cent to that money machine :(

I don't understand how any animal lover could support RSPCA NSW. is it that the people here that went don't know about them?

I honestly don't understand either.

I spent my morning sledding, you couldn't pay me to go to one of their events.

I don't take part in the MPW but I do know they have rescue stalls at the Gosford one. Somersby RSPCA here on the Central Coast do work with rescue, I know that first hand from sending two dogs to Tasmania, I cannot fault the shelter manager and the staff so there definitely has been a massive change at this shelter. Having said that 20 minutes in the other direction at Tuggerah Supa Centre they wanted nothing to do with us taking an emaciated greyhound out of the perspex box it was sitting in and into rescue :(

Good to see someone giving credit in the spots where credit is due.