Reflux - Vomiting Small Amounts Of Digested Food

I've got a new foster dog who seems to have a bit of reflux - didn't know it was him, I thought it was my JRT girl who has always done the occasional vomit but yesterday I saw Dudley produce a bit of liquid the colour of the biscuit he'd eaten about an hour before. There was no sound at all.

Has anyone else had this and has their vet been able to give any meds or was it improved with a change of diet etc?

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

Mac has had a laryngeal tie-back because of laryngeal paralysis. So regurgitation as a cause of aspiration pneumonia is a high risk for him. So he's on Zantac Syrup for the rest of his days and it seems to help him a lot.

The yellowish liquid sounds like bile. Was what he ate a bit too rich/fatty compared to what he is used to?

Does Dudley have any other symptoms - sore tummy etc?

It's not bile, it's just usually clear liquid with whatever he's eaten in it, I'm feeding them charcoal biscuits for a snack in the morning and it comes up green in colour (as does their poop). They are healthy as in low in fat etc.

He's very healthy - I got him about a month ago and got the blood tests done and thorough checks

He's definitely not feeling unwell at all, it's not like vomiting, it's no noise or effort from him, just a pool of liquid that appears suddenly.

I will be hoping to rehome him but always do so with full disclosure. This is OK for me to manage as I have tiles but if a person had carpet then it wouldn't be great.

I just wondered what other people's experiences of reflux were and if any meds helped.

My girl was given Losec tablets for reflux as well as making sure she had something in her tummy before she went to bed. The vet used to write me a script and I had it filled at the pharmacy. It is a human medicine

My girl was given Losec tablets for reflux as well as making sure she had something in her tummy before she went to bed. The vet used to write me a script and I had it filled at the pharmacy. It is a human medicine

Thanks for that, I'll speak to my vet and see what they think, maybe meds are needed!

The yellowish liquid sounds like bile. Was what he ate a bit too rich/fatty compared to what he is used to?

Does Dudley have any other symptoms - sore tummy etc?

It's not bile, it's just usually clear liquid with whatever he's eaten in it, I'm feeding them charcoal biscuits for a snack in the morning and it comes up green in colour (as does their poop). They are healthy as in low in fat etc.

He's very healthy - I got him about a month ago and got the blood tests done and thorough checks

He's definitely not feeling unwell at all, it's not like vomiting, it's no noise or effort from him, just a pool of liquid that appears suddenly.

I will be hoping to rehome him but always do so with full disclosure. This is OK for me to manage as I have tiles but if a person had carpet then it wouldn't be great.

I just wondered what other people's experiences of reflux were and if any meds helped.

I've had a couple of hounds who've gone on hunger strikes (usually from the stress of a new environment) that resulted in reflux. From my own experience, it usually clears up within two weeks of them beginning to eat normally again. Bland foods seem to help so with dogs like that, it's chicken necks/wings and small amounts of Ziwipeak fed frequently.

I suffer from GERD myself (caused by an immune disorder) and it sucks :/ Hope it clears up for your boy.

Ironically I'm on Nexium - can't function without it - so I know how it feels.

Same. Before I started on the PPI, I got into the bad habit of swallowing air (because it feels briefly better) and that makes it even worse. If it turns out to be not something transient, I wouldn't hestitate to try proper medication for a dog.

Guest hankodie

Hey Dogmad, my frenchie Odie has reflux issues and regurgitates her food exactly like what you've described with your foster pup. It takes no effort for her to expel it, she doesn't feel ill before or after she does it, she often looks surprised and quickly tries to gobble it up again (gross I know) and then carries on running around.

Like aussielover said, ruling out megaoesophagus would be my first stop just so you know everything is OK structurally. We did this with an xray and barium test but thankfully all was normal with her system.

There's a couple of things we've been doing that have drastically improved the reflux. Odie goes through seasons of it strangely enough and is extremely sensitive to food changes (This could also be due to her liver condition too) so it took us a while to find the right combo of things that we could/couldn't give her.

If she has a particularly bad run of it we go to the vet and he gives her a 3 day course of some medication that coats and soothes her tummy and she's right as rain. Of course I have forgotten what this medication is called but I shall ask the vet when I see him later this week.

The other thing we do is crate her 15 minutes after a meal as the regurgitation usually happens when she eats and then goes about running around like a fiend which is what she does 99% of the day. So we give her quiet crate time morning and night so she can sit and digest her food.

All of that combined works really well to have kept it under control at the moment. Hope that helps!