When Does Weight Gain Become Significant?

Hi All,

This isn't a post about Scottie (but I suppose really it is). I did search the forum and didn't find a similar thread. I suspect the general answer will be one of "it depends on the individual and common sense" but I want to know when does weight gain (in dogs) become significant?

Some back ground - Scottie is a mutt - predominantly fox terrier and big for his breed - standards put boys at about 8 kilos. He's 10.4 and looks lean.

I weigh him when ever I have him at the pet shop or the vet so I know he's always around that weight (always between 10.2 and today was 10.4)

Diet is varied but is usually 2 scoops of dry a day (normally ziwipeak, sometimes VIP grain free or other grain free) + chicken mince (not measured), some cheese, treats (jerky style), natural yoghurt, canned tuna, sardines, eggs, the occasional can of grain free commercial, chicken necks and RMB. RMB and chicken necks count as meals and not extra - he won't get mince if he's had a bone. He's not at all food driven and will often walk away from treats and at times meals. He gets 2 walks a day - 30+ mins and they usually* include off leash fetch. His evening exercise has been greatly reduced since the clocks changed here a few weeks ago. We now have a lot less light and time to walk after work and sometimes the best he can have is a walk around the streets with no off leash or fetch at all.

Today while I had him out I noticed he looked like he'd put some weight on - so on our way home we stopped to weigh in at the vets - as I said above - 10.4 - biggest he's been since we've owned him but not fat by any means and it got me to thinking.

I think the gain is tiny but is it? When do you put your pooch in the "Jenny Craig pen"?

He's already well over his standard (which doesn't matter to us as he's not a show dog)

He is fit and healthy - I wouldn't want to see him put too much more on

I can identify reasons for the gain - not measuring out food, treats, reduced exercise in recent weeks.

it's really easy to cut back :) use low/no fat cheese ..and hold off on jerky, etc. Try him with slivers of dry fried sweet potato , or dried apple rounds cut into little bits :)

With all th eyummies he's getting ..and a nice variety - I would suggest also reducing his dry food intake by 1/3 :) That way th e lack of exercise is catered for :)

We see the fattest dogs from now on in boarding/grooming people don't change the quantities or because they don't walk as much the feel guilty & give more treats .

I don't see it an issue you have identified he has put a tad on so just adjust accordingly .

Our dogs food intact varies from season to season & the exercise regime heavy or low

I don't work on a "standard" feeding amount regime, but I do work "off' one. In other words, the "standard" is what suits the dog to its "standard" exercise routine. I take into account (a) how the dog looks (looking at ribs, waste and tummy tuck) AND (b) how much exercise the dog has had that day. If the dog is at optimum weight or below, and the exercise has been considerably more than usual that day, I'll up the food intake that day. If the exercise has been considerably less than usual for 2 or more days in a row, I'll drop the food intake if the dog is optimum weight or over weight (i.e. not under-weight).

I go by (primarily) appearance and (secondary) by feel (especially for coated dogs). From the side, I like to see the last rib, and a little less so, the second last rib. The other ribs I like to see have cover, but that I can see the shadow of the ribs as the dog moves. From above, I like to see the waste which should come in after the last ribs. For "feel" I like to be able to run my hand (without pressing) over the dog's ribs, and feel them. I prefer to be able to feel the hips, but not really see them.

A "rule of thumb" rough guide I use when I explain to clients is (referring to the human hand) :

Close your hand to a fist. Run your finger over the knuckles. If this is how your dog's ribs feel and look, too skinny (by what margin is variable).

Open your hand, palm up. Run your finger lightly over what is now the back of the knuckles. If this is how your dog's ribs feel and look, too fat (by what margin is variable).

Open your hand, palm down. Run your finger lightly over the knuckles. If this is how your dog's ribs feel and look, good weight.

I don't put much store in measuring weight, per se, other than for confirmation sake and in the event of medication prescription.

Edited by Erny

Having pugs, weight is always an issue. I like mine on the lean side.

I've never fed a recommended amount. I judge by visual clues. Looking at them from above I like to see them come in at the waist. If there isn't a definite waist line I cut back the amount. If the waist line is too pinched, I feed a little more. The amount I feed is adjusted as required. This could be every week or once every 6 months.

Over the years of rescuing and owning pugs I've realised that each of them is different with how much they can eat. It depends on what I am feeding, their activity levels and their physical build. If I were to feed a recommended amount to all of them I'd have some over weight and others just fine.

Edited by ~Anne~

I don't work on a "standard" feeding amount regime, but I do work "off' one. In other words, the "standard" is what suits the dog to its "standard" exercise routine. I take into account (a) how the dog looks (looking at ribs, waste and tummy tuck) AND (b) how much exercise the dog has had that day. If the dog is at optimum weight or below, and the exercise has been considerably more than usual that day, I'll up the food intake that day. If the exercise has been considerably less than usual for 2 or more days in a row, I'll drop the food intake if the dog is optimum weight or over weight (i.e. not under-weight).

I go by (primarily) appearance and (secondary) by feel (especially for coated dogs). From the side, I like to see the last rib, and a little less so, the second last rib. The other ribs I like to see have cover, but that I can see the shadow of the ribs as the dog moves. From above, I like to see the waste which should come in after the last ribs. For "feel" I like to be able to run my hand (without pressing) over the dog's ribs, and feel them. I prefer to be able to feel the hips, but not really see them.

A "rule of thumb" rough guide I use when I explain to clients is (referring to the human hand) :

Close your hand to a fist. Run your finger over the knuckles. If this is how your dog's ribs feel and look, too skinny (by what margin is variable).

Open your hand, palm up. Run your finger lightly over what is now the back of the knuckles. If this is how your dog's ribs feel and look, too fat (by what margin is variable).

Open your hand, palm down. Run your finger lightly over the knuckles. If this is how your dog's ribs feel and look, good weight.

I don't put much store in measuring weight, per se, other than for confirmation sake and in the event of medication prescription.

We use something similar, but given that ours are working dogs and also performance dogs we aim for the closed fist knuckle feel. No fat over ribs at all as it impedes breathing in an active dog.

I use this too. Useful on different species too actually.

Hi All,

I think the gain is tiny but is it? When do you put your pooch in the "Jenny Craig pen"?

He's already well over his standard (which doesn't matter to us as he's not a show dog)

He is fit and healthy - I wouldn't want to see him put too much more on

I can identify reasons for the gain - not measuring out food, treats, reduced exercise in recent weeks.

I got told by a Vet that if 'I' the owner think there is a weight gain, then 'I' need to take steps to address it.

Not sure Scott's age but he may be at the ideal limit now.

Time to measure his servings, and those little treats 'changed' to lower calories.

Well done for understanding the issue. Seen so many dogs overfeed by their owners. :cry:

Must say Perse's suggestion of dry fried sweet potato sounds yummy enough for me :)

Good Luck