Outside Dogs

Taliecat

Yes but the landlord would need to see the dogs inside the house themselves in order to do anything is what Leah was saying I think.

Sure, but if he came to have a look at an agreed time, I'm sure, if the dogs had been indoors, there would be tell tale signs.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line is, do you want to risk getting booted out and losing your bond, or can you make the garage into a cosy lounge room for them for a couple of months?

At the end of the day it's the OP decision what she feels comfortable doing or not doing.

I would however suggest she does some research into her own rights, this is a dog forum, not a tenancy forum so a lot of the comments on here are very speculative and can be quite removed from the actual law.

I will point out that even if the OP is caught red handed by her landlord with the dogs in the house and the landlord somehow succeeds in kicking them out over it (unlikely unless major damage has been done, most likely tribunal would suggest they move the dogs outside) the landlord cannot keep any part of the bond unless damage has been done to the dwelling that would not be covered under normal wear and tear.

Again even if they are caught and it goes to tribunal a history of the dogs being inside a different property with the same landlord as well as noise issues with them being outside could possibly award the OP with the rights to actually keep her dogs inside.

My OH is a property manager and I am constantly amazed at what VCAT or other state equivalent tribunals allow tenants to do, there are stories of tenants that have been in arrears for year and years but they are given chance after chance (even people being told to pay an extra $20 a month to pay off thousands in debt). OH is currently trying to get the bond held for a tenant that painted over his gas stove instead of cleaning it and even that's not easy.

I really don't think a dog being allowed inside, supervised and causing no damage to the property will give the landlord or tribunal cause to end the lease early or hold any of the bond

Edited by Leah82

Painted the oven :eek: some people are all kinds of "speshal" aren't they? I took my previous landlord/real eastate to the tribunal recently for serious breaches and I was gobsmacked at the amount of people in there thousands of dollars behind in rent.

Taliecat if you want to grin and bear it and try to make the best of a crap situation then do it that way and get out when you can. I personally wouldn't have signed that lease even if my furniture was in there under those conditions that I still say were sprung on you. Nor would I have handed over the bond money and would've told the owner I will be leaving asap. Private rentals have their advantages but at least with a real estate everything is on the table BEFORE you move in.

Good luck and I'm sorry you are going through this.

Bottom line is, do you want to risk getting booted out and losing your bond, or can you make the garage into a cosy lounge room for them for a couple of months?

At the end of the day it's the OP decision what she feels comfortable doing or not doing.

I would however suggest she does some research into her own rights, this is a dog forum, not a tenancy forum so a lot of the comments on here are very speculative and can be quite removed from the actual law.

I will point out that even if the OP is caught red handed by her landlord with the dogs in the house and the landlord somehow succeeds in kicking them out over it (unlikely unless major damage has been done, most likely tribunal would suggest they move the dogs outside) the landlord cannot keep any part of the bond unless damage has been done to the dwelling that would not be covered under normal wear and tear.

Again even if they are caught and it goes to tribunal a history of the dogs being inside a different property with the same landlord as well as noise issues with them being outside could possibly award the OP with the rights to actually keep her dogs inside.

My OH is a property manager and I am constantly amazed at what VCAT or other state equivalent tribunals allow tenants to do, there are stories of tenants that have been in arrears for year and years but they are given chance after chance (even people being told to pay an extra $20 a month to pay off thousands in debt). OH is currently trying to get the bond held for a tenant that painted over his gas stove instead of cleaning it and even that's not easy.

I really don't think a dog being allowed inside, supervised and causing no damage to the property will give the landlord or tribunal cause to end the lease early or hold any of the bond

If your OH is a property manager then he will know that to retain any part of the bond money the tenant has to agree. If they do not, then the next step is VCAT.

If your OH is a property manager then he will know that to retain any part of the bond money the tenant has to agree. If they do not, then the next step is VCAT.

Yes it does and it pretty much always goes to VCAT who have a habit of siding with the down and out tenant over the 'greedy' landlord

Yes it does and it pretty much always goes to VCAT who have a habit of siding with the down and out tenant over the 'greedy' landlord

lol. At least we agree on something

Just to give you guys an update.

My partners parents have jumped on board with the situation and are going to spot us bond so we can move again.

It's a periodic lease with no minimum term, so the length of time isn't going to be a hassle.

Now just for the hard part of finding another place that's dog friendly so we can enjoy our relationship with our dogs.

Just to give you guys an update.

My partners parents have jumped on board with the situation and are going to spot us bond so we can move again.

It's a periodic lease with no minimum term, so the length of time isn't going to be a hassle.

Now just for the hard part of finding another place that's dog friendly so we can enjoy our relationship with our dogs.

Super news.

Paws crossed for everything to work out smoothly and allow your family to be able to have stability. All of you deserve to be able to live happily.

:thumbsup:

Taliecat - hasten slowly with teh next one !! :)

Yes- & confirm the conditions are acceptable BEFORE moving in!! :)

This is a lesson to not sign anything you feel uncomfortable about. Leases are legally binding contracts.

Didn't you say you were moving somewhere else in August?

Just FYI you probably know this but you need to give 14 days notice to end a periodic lease.

We were going to wait until august so that we could save for bali, but the in laws are spotting us financially so we can move in a long term rental before we go on vacation.

And yes we'll be specifying that the dogs are part of the family and renting accordingly. We'll go through an agent this time...