Gosh I Love My Dobermann

Ha ha ha, I knew that was coming. It's a fine, almost invisible line, between saying an action is stupid and saying the person is stupid.

Anyway, I still believe some posters went all out in the wrong way and instead of talking sensibly and nicely to the OP, a newcomer, tried to crack a nut with a sledge hammer and/or to show off their superiority.

Here you had a young woman, all excited about moving onto acreage, with her beautiful dog and looking forward to having lots of conversations with other dogs lovers and instead she was shot down in flames by people who should know better.

What a shame. She sounded lovely.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She wasn't shot down in flames, she was given factual information, and you knew that was coming. Because you knew I did not say she was stupid,

If you have such an issue, report me.

Edited by OSoSwift

I think it's a simple fact of rural living. Keep your dog contained or expect it to be shot.

I actually don't know any farmers now that rely solely on chains. I can think of two that use them, and that is within a large run just to separate dogs during feeding.

Most have off the ground snake proof kennels or full cemented runs.

Forgetting the temp issues with chaining and the fact chains can break. Snakes alone would be reason enough to build an appropriate run.

Ha ha ha, I knew that was coming. It's a fine, almost invisible line, between saying an action is stupid and saying the person is stupid.

Anyway, I still believe some posters went all out in the wrong way and instead of talking sensibly and nicely to the OP, a newcomer, tried to crack a nut with a sledge hammer and/or to show off their superiority.

Here you had a young woman, all excited about moving onto acreage, with her beautiful dog and looking forward to having lots of conversations with other dogs lovers and instead she was shot down in flames by people who should know better.

I am sorry to say, but if anyone here is being less than kind, it is you DDD.

Blatantly telling everyone else that they are being too harsh would also scare people away, and is not particularly nice to tell someone that their views and experiences are not particularly relevant or correct. When in fact, they are. I don't think you should joke about stories of dogs being shot :(

I think she was given some awesome info here to consider, and I imagine she has read this and learnt something about what she wants to do in regards to

housing her dog. Hopefully anyway. People shouldnt ask questions if they are afraid to hear the answers they may get, especially in such a dog-passionate place such as DOL.

My $0.02.

..and skye , I think you probably are STILL lovely ;) A bit wary of coming back here , - but you are not alone :hug: many first timers need to get their "D O L - legs" .

Hope you & your gorgeous girl hang around & read lots on offer here - even if you refrain from posting.

It really is THE best source of info....with so many years of dog owning/working/breeding experience

I certainly wasn't shooting the OP down, I was just giving her some very good sound advice which may save her the heartache of finding out these things for herself. I gave my advice on the basis that I have lived on farms for most of my 63 years. Things are very different in "the bush" than living in the suburbs. There are different unwritten laws between landowners. DDD may I ask you a question?????.....have you ever witnessed a dog being ripped to pieces by a kangaroo, which the dog decided was fun to chase or seen a dog drowned by a kangaroo because the dog followed the roo into the dam, to where the animal was trying to escape???? Yes...these things can still happen when you are simply taking your dog for a walk in the country, but leaving them unattended free roaming or tied to a chain increases the risk of it happening & you are not there to take action, (if you can).