Pet Shop Display Beagle Pup With Fractured Leg

Guest donatella

Wrong, wrong, wrong. This is why live companion animals should not be sold as retail stock. When something goes wrong neither the staff nor management of pet shops have the capacity or interest in doing what is right for the animal.

That's being generous, LG :shrug:. Of course, they have the capacity - anyone can pick up a phone and call a vet. Your second comment as to not having the interest is more to the point.

I was meaning more that they only know how to deal with products that stay at the shop - they don't have foster carers or a sick room so have no capacity to appropriately respond when their 'products' are sick. I suppose even the staff wouldn't take it home with them until it was better if they weren't getting paid for it.

As for the benefit of community petitions - I have seen some do great things and others do squat. I think it depends on how wrong the naughty party really thinks they are in the first place. I recently purchased a beading related product that turned out to be three years old and very out of date. I rang the shop where I purchased it (they didn't care), contacted the company who made it (they told me someone else made it and fobbed me off elsewhere) and finally made a complaint to Fair Trading who told me it was a waste of public monies to take my complaint any further. I rang the company who I got fobbed off to and they were horrified they had been bad mouthed by another associate and sent me on my way (sympathetically) too. By this time I was mighty pissed off so detailed every little thing on a bead forum to warn others and re-emailed the company in question telling them what I was doing. They immediately sent me a very formal email stating they can't be blamed if I choose to buy something out of date (even though it was sealed and I couldn't check it before I left the store), they threatened me with legal action if I did not remove my comments from the bead forum but also offered to replace what I'd purchased with two other items worth basically twice as much. This is your basic corporate bully response - act totally offended by the 'unfounded' complaint, throw in a threat, but as a gesture of goodwill offer a deal to shut the complainer up. So in this instance - everyone knows the pet shop was doing the wrong thing by that puppy so there was a somewhat satisfactory and quick response.

Edited by Little Gifts

Why do people think a petition help these matters?

Because it beats sitting on our asses doing nothing?

I grew up being taught if no one takes a stand nothing changes. I know they're not ideal and rarely amount to much but if you have a better idea I'm itching to hear it.

The pup has been there with it's leg in the cast for weeks. Glad it's got more attention now :(

If you knew this how come you didn't report it? Not stirring, just genuinely curious as to why if people were aware of it they would not call RSPCA/Store/Shopping Centre or did you report it and it is only getting more publicity as it has gone viral?

The pup has been there with it's leg in the cast for weeks. Glad it's got more attention now :(

If you knew this how come you didn't report it? Not stirring, just genuinely curious as to why if people were aware of it they would not call RSPCA/Store/Shopping Centre or did you report it and it is only getting more publicity as it has gone viral?

It was posted on a beagle page I'm on. I haven't seen the pup myself but one of the members did. It was reported to the RSPCA back then and complaints were made to the shopping centre and store. No action seemed to be taken until Oscars Law got involved and pushed for more action (which is how it also went viral).

Edited by huski

A few people on the beagle group called wanting to buy it (out of concern for the pup) and the pet shop refused saying it wouldn't be for sale until it's leg had heeled.

Just how long were they planning to leave that poor pup in that tiny glass cage :mad he already looks much bigger than he did in the original pics I saw a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks Huski, I had just been wondering how it hit critical mass vs being ignored if a number of folk had seen it over a few weeks. Maybe that's why people think petitions will help - they can email them instantly to a lot of others and once there is enough "noise" some action is usually taken, even if there is no explanation of what outcome there has been?

Edited by coogie

Westfield is an ASX 200 company with over $21.7 billion in assets. If you were on their board, would you care what people think? Happy to be proved wrong but were I on that board, the only people I'd care about would be the major shareholders.

Guest donatella

There was a mob of animal activists posting hate on both their facebook and their google reviews. Surely all the negativity bothers them?

I doubt it. There's probably not a large corporation on the planet that doesn't get loads of hate mail and negative feedback on social media. Unless it makes a substantial dent in their earnings, it will wash over them.

Westfield is an ASX 200 company with over $21.7 billion in assets. If you were on their board, would you care what people think? Happy to be proved wrong but were I on that board, the only people I'd care about would be the major shareholders.

Little worries Westfield except the dollar.

If the company can fine their shop holders for closing premises while taking a bathroom break, little would matter about an injured pup within their centre.

I agree Westfield won't give a toss - people are not going to stop coming to the shopping centre which is all they care about. The best thing to do is embarrass the business as much as possible - visits by RSPCA etc is not a good look. It won't make any difference to them either in the long run as people will keep buying their pups. That doesn't mean people shouldn't speak out when they see something wrong though.

i really don't like this shop. I have seen some horrible things there...

One of which was a staff member shoving chicken down a puppies throat. It was a TINY puppy. Definitely not 8 weeks old.

I guess it would have been able to chew, though no need to force feed it...

I questioned the staff member and she got really angry at me and another concerned lady and then took it behind a door :(

and a kitten with the grossest looking ear infection i have seen.

Now this.

Oh thats just dispicible denali :( there is no need to handle a young puppy in this manner or any animal for that matter.

Sounds to me this shop has a lot to answer for. No wonder I wont enter any pet shop that sells anything with a heart beat.

Just upsets me too much I' m afraid.