Pet Shop Display Beagle Pup With Fractured Leg

Guest donatella

There is a petition on Change.org about it at the moment. I have an idea it is against forum rules to post the petition link but if you type 'change.org Westfield: No longer permit pet store retailers to sell live animals' into your search-bar it should take you to the page

Yeah, been following it all day as well. RSPCA have also copped some serious flack. Oscar's Law also wading in. Poor pup, not the first time I have seen a sick/ injured pup in a window at a Westfield shopping centre. I found that getting a staff member and pointing out the issue had no effect at all. Ringing the Manager did result in the sick pup being removed from sight but I am not confident it "helped". Because the code here is not mandatory shops like this are free to do pretty much as they wish. It is stomach turning the state of some of the puppies and kittens.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. This is why live companion animals should not be sold as retail stock. When something goes wrong neither the staff nor management of pet shops have the capacity or interest in doing what is right for the animal. If it's damaged it usually gets marked down and just goes in the bargain bin. Except you can't do that with a puppy, so you stick it back in the window and hope somebody takes pity on it and buys it quickly.

What a way to treat a sick baby. Shameful.

Yep, I'd been following the story on FB yesterday, apparently pup was removed...story goes it was in the shop because if the girls put it out the back it howled. Rspca went, spoke to vet and have said the pup was treated in the correct manner.

I e-mailed Westfield, got a stock standard reply saying puppy was now at someones home, not that they care, they are only about money. :(

Wrong, wrong, wrong. This is why live companion animals should not be sold as retail stock. When something goes wrong neither the staff nor management of pet shops have the capacity or interest in doing what is right for the animal.

That's being generous, LG :shrug:. Of course, they have the capacity - anyone can pick up a phone and call a vet. Your second comment as to not having the interest is more to the point.

I suppose it depends on who runs? (can't think of the correct word) the petition ie Change.org, Get Up, Sumofus, Avaaz, I think they add some legitimacy to the petition. The Aust Labor party had a petition about Malcolm's NBN last October, there was a petition to get Ruby (BSL dog) home so perhaps they have some impact

A few weeks back I checked on-line regarding the efficacy of e-petittions, there was some info on Wiki (yep I know...not the best/most accurate source)

here is an excerpt of Wiki's page:

There are now several major web initiatives featuring online petitions, for example Change.org, Avaaz.org, and 38 Degrees. These are growing in popularity and ability to achieve political impact. The Economist comments that Avaaz has had "some spectacular successes", but raises questions about what objective measures can be used to assess "the reach of a global e-protest movement".[2] Recently, several petitions on Change.org have been attributed the reversal of a United Airlines Dog Policy.[3]

[/url]Wiki also goes on to say:

Debate over efficacy

As is the case with public perceptions of slacktivism, Internet petitions are both a popular resort of web-based activism and a target of criticism from those who feel that such petitions are often disregarded by their targets because of the anonymity of petition signers; Snopes.com, for example, sides against the usage of Internet petitions as a method of activism.[1] On the other hand, the creators of petition hosts, such as Randy Paynter of Care2 and thePetitionSite.com, have defended web-based petitions as being more feasible, credible and effective than e-mail petitions,[16] claiming they are not fairly judged as a method of activism by their critics. Since then, Snopes.com has removed the text about the inefficacy of internet petitions.[1]

I do sign petitions, especially the bee ones, and there have been changes. The petitions that asked the Asian sweat-shops to lift their game have also produced results.

At least it helps gets the word out there