Lure Coursing - Photos Added

Kirislin - I'm going to a lure coursing fun day in Perth on Sunday. Can I pick your brains for some photography tips please :D I plan on using my 150-600, but will also take my 70-200.

Advice welcome from anyone else too :D

Many thanks :)

Edited by CrazyCresties

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fast shutter speed unless you want to pan. :D If you can get down low it's effective, but if not feet well apart, steady stance so you can turn to follow them as they pass.

Edited by Kirislin

Thanks for all the tips, I'm not going now today, but will remember them for next time :)

Kirislin are you after these details?

VC (stabilisation)

f5-6.3

mfd - 2.7m

Weight - 1.95 kg

Cost, around $1300

Let me know if there is anything else you want to know :)

• 1 month later...

So I finally got to a lure coursing event a couple of weeks back and had a great time watching all the dogs enjoying themselves!

The photos were a bit hit and miss, managed about 100 ok-ish ones out of 900 taken! I'm not happy with the exposure on a lot of them, the grass colour is all over the place. I was on manual settings and had bright sun one second then cloud the next, so next time I might try shutter priority. The lens (Tamrom 150-600mm) did ok, I would have preferred my faster 70-200mm but wouldn't have had the reach. I might take both next time and see.

Anyway here are some pics, any advice or C&C welcome :)

Full set - https://www.flickr.com/gp/56265770@N02/4p09YM/

14297342875_0fce882894_z.jpg

14295374532_b91e3dbb60_z.jpg

14317562533_d70a0c9dd8_z.jpg

14317502633_1099eab478_z.jpg

14296769904_d5a98bae29_z.jpg

14297397985_baf24e0b72_z.jpg

14110832017_06e66dd229_z.jpg

14295409602_f1d6c08abb_z.jpg

Edited by CrazyCresties

I also love the 3rd one in particular, and I bet the owner of the dog would too if they see it. It's always hard conditions where I photograph too, sunlight and shadow and the angle. I wish I had a longer lens, I've only got the 70-200 and it's way too short for where we run. It was alot easier when I used to help the other whippet racing club on a round track.

I think you did a great job. If you felt brave you could try laying down although you cannot follow them as they pass then.

Sometimes I slow the shutter right down for panning shots, it's hit and miss but when you get it right it's pretty effective.

Thanks everyone :) There were some great facial expressions happening that day :laugh: Kirislin, I've also popped them on the groups facebook page, so the owners will hopefully see them on there. Thanks for the previous tips - I hope to have a better keeper rate next time!

WOW!!! Those photos are completely amazing!

I especially love the flying Amstaff one (3rd photo of the first group)... stunning!

Note to self - find out if there are lure coursing days in Sydney and drag camera along...

T.