Registration Paper Help

Guest _MADCAT_

Guest _MADCAT_

Hey all,

Long story short I bought a Main Registered Bullmastiff 3 years ago, when he was about 8 months old I broke up with my crazy ex who tried taking me to court over my dog and other lies (court threw it out as the dog was 100% always mine)

Then I found a wonderful partner (unfortunately now ex) but when we broke up I had nowhere to house my now 2 Bullmastiff's so I had to give up my entire boy while I slept in my car until I could move back in with my parents - he kept the Bitch which was co owned by both of us.

When I gave up Frank I gave him to someone who ended up being a total ___ but thankfully I quickly saved some money and now renting my own house.

Franks new owners agreed to give him back to me but withheld his paperwork from me until I paid $500 to get him back (I gave him to them for free) but I didn't bother disputing it, I was just happy to have my boy (and girl) back with me.

I've since paid the money back and the guy said he's sent the paper work but it's been 6 months and nothing. Numerous emails back and forth so I've given up he's probably destroyed them, refuses to send or maybe did and aus post lost them? *shrug*

I've asked the breeder if she could help IT WAS MY MISTAKE FOR NOT REGISTERING HIM TO MY NAME WHEN I GOT HIM but please understand this was my first purebred dog and I had no idea how the paper work worked and the breeder was never informative.

She has now said she can't help because she doesn't have the paper work from that litter but I do have a picture of his pedigree just obviously not the original.

I'd really like to sign him officially over to me.

Is there anything the breeder can do without the puppy paper work or do I now have a Bullmastiff without papers? :(

Dogs NSW said because im not the registered owner they can't help me so unless the breeder can I have no hope.

Is there anything I can / she can do?!

Thank you,

Josie.

(And Dora and Frank)

Sorry for the back story, it's just been an insane few years and I wish I knew more about paper work when I first got my boy.

Guest _MADCAT_

I think if you pay a fee you can get the paperwork from your canine authority, I dont know what it's called in SA

Oh jeez I hope so! I'll call up dogs sa and see if they can help :)

t's not really clear to me exactly who is shown as Frank's registered owner on his Certificate of Registration.

The person who is currently stated as his registered owner is able to apply for a new certificate of registration if it has been lost or destroyed. Once that is received by them they are then able to transfer his ownership to another person.

If the dog's breeder was the last person shown on his C of R then that is the person that needs to apply for the new paperwork. If the person that you gave Frank to is shown as his owner on his C of R then they are the one that needs to apply.

In order to make that application the dog's registered name and if possible, the reg number or microchip number needs to be stated on the application form.

Just as an aside, I believe that the breeder was meant to transfer the ownership of the pup when it was first sold...... if that hasnt happened and they are reluctant to help you in this instance, perhaps a gentle reminder of that requirement could make them a bit more interested in your situation !

Just as an aside, I believe that the breeder was meant to transfer the ownership of the pup when it was first sold...... if that hasnt happened and they are reluctant to help you in this instance, perhaps a gentle reminder of that requirement could make them a bit more interested in your situation !

In most states it is up to the new owner to transfer the dog, not the breeder. Breeder signs the back of the form and then new owner sends it in with the fee.

In most states it is up to the new owner to transfer the dog, not the breeder. Breeder signs the back of the form and then new owner sends it in with the fee.

That's my understanding of the process too, Rebanne. When I got Kirah nearly 3 years ago, her paperwork was a bit of a shamozzle because her breeder forgot to sign the paperwork when she'd sent it to me. I had to post it back for a signature and she had to post it back to me again. There was a lot of backwards and forwarding but it worked out in the end and she was quite apologetic. As there is a fee involved in the change of ownership process, I'd also expect it to be left up to the purchaser because even though the breeder could submit the paperwork, they're not responsible for the payment.

I'm of the firm belief that ownership needs to be dealt with ASAP to avoid any issues that may arise later.

Guest _MADCAT_

t's not really clear to me exactly who is shown as Frank's registered owner on his Certificate of Registration.

The person who is currently stated as his registered owner is able to apply for a new certificate of registration if it has been lost or destroyed. Once that is received by them they are then able to transfer his ownership to another person.

If the dog's breeder was the last person shown on his C of R then that is the person that needs to apply for the new paperwork. If the person that you gave Frank to is shown as his owner on his C of R then they are the one that needs to apply.

In order to make that application the dog's registered name and if possible, the reg number or microchip number needs to be stated on the application form.

Thank you! My other bullmastiffs papers came in my name, this breeder just did it differently. I called ankc nsw and explained and they told me to download some forms and send it to her so I'll send it with return address so I can pay for the duplicate papers. Easy done!

Phew, I was stressing out for no reason, now im settled in a house I wanted to make sure both dogs were 100% registered to me. :)

Phew, I was stressing out for no reason, now im settled in a house I wanted to make sure both dogs were 100% registered to me. :)

Depends what you mean by this as in there registered papers are in your name or you can prove ownership ??

The microchip paperwork should be in your name & the council reg will be in your name .

Franks new owners agreed to give him back to me but withheld his paperwork from me until I paid $500 to get him back (I gave him to them for free) but I didn't bother disputing it, I was just happy to have my boy (and girl) back with me.

This is the confusing part ,is the dog now in there name on those papers ??If so they need to transfer the papers back if they submitted them & where members.

Confusing as to why you would pay $500 to get papers back unless they submitted the paperwork .

If you truly don't now whose name is on the papers anymore i don't think the canine body can do anything ,it isn't this simple

Guest _MADCAT_

I just wanted franks main registration papers to be in my name is all, I kept forgetting to do it and thought since I'm settled I'd finalize the paper work.

Frank was never transfered over to the "temp" owners he was just difficult to work with when I asked for him back. I appreciate I got my boy back but originally he was asking $1500 to return the dog. (He only had him 2-3 months) so we eventually agreed on $500.

At the time I was only working part time so we agreed to a payment plan and he withheld franks main registration paper work until I paid $500 in full. When I'd paid in full he said he had sent the paper work and I never received it.. so now my only option is to ask for the breeders help for a duplicate so I can have his main registration papers in my name.

His council and microchip are in my name yes, but I wanted to have his papers in my name too since he is my dog.

You say the dog was not transferred to the last people that had dog, but if you let them have the dogs papers and they were signed by the last known registered owner/s, what was stopping the last people paying the fee and transferring the dog into their name. Before you do anything you had best find out who's name the dog is actually registered in. :)