Looking For A New Dry Food For My Dog

whitka

So my 10 year old Goldie has a fat intolerant liver according to the vet and has been on this vet prescribed dry food and he mostly gets boiled chicken with it. I have asked the vet what else he can have and all he said he could really have was vegies and rice. I have also tried chicken and turkey mince for some verity. My problem is the dry food im giving him is getting to expensive and its only a 6kg bag. So I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions of a low fat dry food I can give him also anything else low in fat I can add to his meal.

So my 10 year old Goldie has a fat intolerant liver according to the vet and has been on this vet prescribed dry food and he mostly gets boiled chicken with it. I have asked the vet what else he can have and all he said he could really have was vegies and rice. I have also tried chicken and turkey mince for some verity. My problem is the dry food im giving him is getting to expensive and its only a 6kg bag. So I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions of a low fat dry food I can give him also anything else low in fat I can add to his meal.

Check out the fat content on the back of the bag of dry food that you are currently feeding. Then you need to check the fat content on the back of the bag of any other dry food that you're considering.

I have a dog who is prone to pancreatitis attacks if the fat content of anything I feed her exceeds 4%. Most dry food for seniors or weight reduction dry food has a low fat content.

Most good quality dry food is pricey.

I had to put Casper on a low-fat, low protein food. I received a few suggestions on DOL and opted for Nutro Weight Management. Casper is doing really well on it. I also have him on milk thistle tablets to keep his liver strong (long term anti-epilepsy drugs can damage the liver). He had a blood test a week ago and his liver is in good shape. I also feed him BARF patties which I simmer with brown rice and veggies (2 patties, 2 cups of rice and 250g frozen veg lasts most of a week).

Thanks Cavnrott I didn't think about checking the dry food's fat content :o I do know that most of the good dry foods will be expensive but the one im getting from the vets only seems to last around 4 weeks and its a 6 kg bag. Im happy to pay abit more as long the bag of food lasts a bit longer. Im paying nearly $90 for this dry food.

Thanks Cavnrott I didn't think about checking the dry food's fat content :o I do know that most of the good dry foods will be expensive but the one im getting from the vets only seems to last around 4 weeks and its a 6 kg bag. Im happy to pay abit more as long the bag of food lasts a bit longer. Im paying nearly $90 for this dry food.

Wow! That is very expensive. I'm sure you can do a lot better than that.

Most of the larger pet warehouses have a good selection of dry good. MyPetWarehouse is not much help to you because they don't list the food analysis of the products on their website so you have to call them and ask a staff member to go and check the bag which is a nuisance if you have to call them multiple times. Most other large pet stores should be helpful. Maybe try the Pookinuk website. They deliver but I don't know if they would deliver as far away as where you are.

Canidae Platinum has a 4% fat content. Artemis has a low fat variety too.

I also feed him BARF patties which I simmer with brown rice and veggies (2 patties, 2 cups of rice and 250g frozen veg lasts most of a week).

If you are using the Billinghurst BARF or Big Dog BARF raw food they should not be cooked as they contain bone and cooked bone is a no no for dogs. You would be best to use a low fat premium quality mince steak if you intend to cook it.

Once BARF is cooked it is no longer a Biological Approved Raw Food.

If "low fat" is the primary prerequisite, even the supermarket brands are doing a "Lite" these days.

Friend of mine feeds Supercoat Lite eek1.gif I don't care for what comes out of her dogs' back ends but they seem to do well enough on it.

I went with the Supercoat lite for now. Unfortunately we only really have two places that have a selection of the higher end dry foods. One doesn't sell small bags which is what I wanted to see if it will agree with him and the other didn't have any light formulas in stock. The joys of living in a small town :laugh:

The supercoat lite has 7% fat which is the same amount as the stuff I've been getting from the vets.

Edited by whitka

Thanks White shepherd mum, i'll see if I can track down Nutro and have a look. Where did you get the milk thistle tablets from?

I get the milk thistle from Woolies, you should find them anywhere that sells your common vitamins. I highly recommend it for liver problems though it is a long term thing.

If you are using the Billinghurst BARF or Big Dog BARF raw food they should not be cooked as they contain bone and cooked bone is a no no for dogs. You would be best to use a low fat premium quality mince steak if you intend to cook it.Once BARF is cooked it is no longer a Biological Approved Raw Food.

Thanks cNr. The bone is pulverised though, is it not? I've never seen bits of bone in the patties. I do realise that cooked BARF is no longer BARF :) but I figured there are more good things in the patties than plain mince on its own.

I went with the Supercoat lite for now. Unfortunately we only really have two places that have a selection of the higher end dry foods. One doesn't sell small bags which is what I wanted to see if it will agree with him and the other didn't have any light formulas in stock. The joys of living in a small town :laugh:

The supercoat lite has 7% fat which is the same amount as the stuff I've been getting from the vets.

Have you thought of looking for places that deliver? I know Pookinuk have (or used to have) good prices and a big selection. They also have a nutritional break-down of each food so if you have a couple of hours to kill you could have a look there.

I can't recommend a dry food - I fed my dog which needed low fat on raw meat (beef, roo, chicken) with fruit and veges put through the food processor and added to the meat.

But .. some of the larger pet shops/produce do sell almost out of date dry food at a very good rate, and you can usually buy it weekly. City Farmers, try Petstock, or some of the other larger ones, and as has been suggested, check out the fat % on the pack. I couldn't find anything low fat enough, but things have changed since then.