Reacting When She Sees Other Dogs

Badbee

We have finally gotten Abby our 1 year old mini schnauzer to walk beautifully on the leash. However that all changes instantly when she sees another dog. The dog can be quite a way distant but as soon as she sees he/she she begins yo whimper, bark and pull to get close. All this is fine if the other dog owner allows us to meet, sniff and walk on. She is happy thorn and it only takes 30 seconds and off we go again. Most dog owners are happy to do this, we always ask first. But yesterday we had finished the first part of our walk and were sitting having a coffee when a dog and it's owner walked past. Abby barked madly, whimpered, screamed and generally acted like and aggressive, crazy dog. :eek: ThaTs the worst she has ever been. Does anyone have any ideas what we can do to stop this. Once she could no longer see the dog she was fine. :mad

Ok... you NEED to have a consult with a trainer /behaviourist - ideally one who some folks have worked successfully with , and trust. Asking for names on here would be my suggestion.

Wanting to greet other dogs, being excited & then frustrated , pulling , etc ... is all behaviour which can be worked on when YOU learn some more about the whys & hows :) At the moment - SHE is training YOU to allow meet & greet sesssions , on HER terms . This is not really how the dog/owner thing should work ;) :p

You're still using a harness?

Edited by persephone

Your best bet is to see a professional. This kind of behavior can easily get worse as you've already experienced

By letting her greet other dogs when she acts this way you've also reinforced to her that displaying that behavioir is rewarding and will end in you allowing her to greet other dogs.

Getting help from a reputable trainer will give you the ability to control and modify her behavior.

Ok... you NEED to have a consult with a trainer /behaviourist - ideally one who some folks have worked successfully with , and trust. Asking for names on here would be my suggestion.

Wanting to greet other dogs, being excited & then frustrated , pulling , etc ... is all behaviour which can be worked on when YOU learn some more about the whys & hows :) At the moment - SHE is training YOU to allow meet & greet sesssions , on HER terms . This is not really how the dog/owner thing should work ;) :p

You're still using a harness?

Yes she was in the harness when it happened. I will look around the illawarra for a behaviourist.we are just back from a leash free beach and she was fine, engaging playfully with other dogs. But I figure that was because she had the freedom of not being on the leash.

Why not start a thread asking for a professional who can work in your area ? it's quicker and easier than trying to search alone ;) Glad she enjoys her playtimes ..and hopefully a bit later, she will also relax and listen while onlead ! ;)

Badbee, I've just read you're in the Illawarra. I too live here and am yet to find a decent trainer so I'd recommend booking in to see/have a consult with Steve at K9 Pro. He's situated in Kurrajong and I made a weekend out of my visit -- there are a few dog friendly places you can stay up there.

Badbee, I've just read you're in the Illawarra. I too live here and am yet to find a decent trainer so I'd recommend booking in to see/have a consult with Steve at K9 Pro. He's situated in Kurrajong and I made a weekend out of my visit -- there are a few dog friendly places you can stay up there.

Thanks for that have you tried the naught dog people at unanderra or the dog project people at fairy meadow? I don't think my husband will agree to driving out to kurrajong.