Coffs Harbour

Scottsmum

Hi All,

Hope this is in the right spot. I've applied for a job in Coffs and have an interview next week. I've done a quick search of the board and it appears there are a number of locals currently or previously on the board AND i've been sufficiently freaked out about ticks and distemper and weird things washing up on the beach... so ... fill me in. What should I know before moving up there (if I'm successful) with my pooch?

One real estate has said it's incredibly difficult to get pet friendly rental. True or false?

Fill me in on ticks, fleas, distemper, (suburbs which might be better to rent in - if that's allowed).

Hit me up with a PM on anything which isn't really dog related or that you just don't want to say on the board.

I really want this job but the second I got the call for the interview my brain went into "holy crap I'd have to pack and move a house and a dog who gets car sick with 2 weeks notice" mode.

It is pretty hard to get a pet friendly rental in Coffs and surrounds, Ticks are pretty much here all year, fleas arc up after it rains which it does quite often and anywhere that has sandy soil will have sandflies, mozzies are bad too in some areas. I'm not sure about distemper but parvo has been known to crop up. Also Lyme disease has been found in the area too, although the area health department is all hush hush about it.

There are plenty of off leash areas mostly beaches to go to.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

--Lhok

There is awesome beaches, and mountains with forests, if you go 10 mins out of the city west way there is farmland. Cafes and restuarants and the like as well, I grew up and still live in coffs I love it here, I'm just not great at marketing lol

--Lhok

I have lived in the area for about 30 years, but are on a farm. I am not sure about the rentals or if it is more harder to rent with a pet, than other coastal areas. Yes we have ticks, so it's Advantix fortnightly all year round & heartworm monthly. I believe we have an outbreak of Parvo in the area at the moment & up around Grafton they have kennel cough. Ticks are not a problem provided you keep up with the Advantix & search daily.

On the plus side it has the best climate on the coast along with Port Macquarie (IMO), winters are only six weeks long. We have lots of lovely beaches that are practically deserted & you can take your dog to a lot. We have Pet Friendly caravan parks & motels. Lots of lovely drives in the country with beautiful mountains, waterfalls & picnic spots. On the coast you will get sandflies, which really seem to love my blood :laugh:

And the biggest PLUS of all is that we have a fabulous dog club. Both my daughters never had much trouble finding pet friendly rental, but when you do find rental, you will probably need to pay about $300 - $360 per week.

Lived there for two years in the nineties. Loved it but hated the paralysis ticks - you really have to be super vigilant. Yes pet friendly is really hard to get. I ended up buying under pressure and dropped 10k when I eventually sold frown.gif. I suggest you pick a couple of big real estate firms and make friends with the agents and actually have them meet your dog(s). Also look at properties just outside Coffs - up and down the coast and inland to Belligen (just beautiful) - that might be easier. Good luck. smile.gif

Depending on where you are going to work, but the hinterland around Coramba, Nana Glen or south to Mylestom (on the beach)...all lovely places & may be easier to get pet rental. Also the further you get away from the beachie areas, the ticks seem to taper off.

Awesome area to live. Yes we have ticks and fleas all year but as long as you're on top of treatments it's all good. Parvo and distemper - as long as vaccinations are up to date, not an issue. Snakes are around too, but I've only seen pythons around our house (in the trees chasing frogs)

I don't rent, as I live with my in laws but there are the occasional pet friendly rentals available. I would just suggest looking in surrounding suburbs rather than Coffs itself. I live at Mylestom which is extremely laid back, half an hour out of Coffs. Nala Glen and Coramba probably have good options as well (they are north and west).

I'd recommend avoiding the "dog beach" of Park Beach though, I don't like sharing a beach with everyone else in Coffs so I stay down my way at Mylestom. Lucky to see more than one dog on a walk here.

I really learnt to appreciate Coffs after I moved away for a year, i'm a regional girl at heart and like everything about this area.

Thanks all.

I was going to ask what you all do for ticks. As for the rentals - that's still a lot less then we're paying here in Sydney so that's good too.

I agree with you too Dot - I've been in Sydney since 2000 but I'm really a regional girl at heart :)

Well time will tell I suppose

• 2 weeks later...

Well I didn't get the job - which sucks. I was really looking forward to getting out of Sydney.

Oh well. Another time and place.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated.

Edited by Scottsmum