Advice For The Rescue Girl I'm Taking Today

kelpiecuddles

I'm not sure how long the lovely rescue girl I'm taking on will be with me before we get her over to Temora. She's coming to me this arvo and I want to ensure she's on the right track health wise while I have her so that I can send her on to Mary in as good condition as possible. :) So the good news is that I am told she is up to date with vaccs and worming, I only have a couple of photos at this stage and I'm not sure how old they are but she may be a tad on the lean side.

So I have Blackhawk Puppy dry food here, is this an adequate food to put her on to? I would hazard a guess that her past has consisted of a lot of Pal but I'll be asking them when they drop her off what she's been eating. How much extra do I need to be feeding her given she is pregnant and should I be dividing it up over more smaller meals per day? I just feed my girls by looking at their condition. Any other suggestions for things I should be doing for her? I haven't worked out where she will sleep yet, I'm going to let them guide me on that depending on what she is used to :)

2 feeds a day for now. How far along is she, does anyone know? Any food you have will do for now but I'd wouldn't be feeding her a puppy food for long. Normal adult it better. Don't overfeed her. She doesn't need to get fat. Lean won't harm her or the pups. If she is part sighthound, lean is normal. Don't add calcium.

The owner thought she was due in 2-3 weeks but who knows, she doesn't know when they mated so it's a mystery. I like my dogs lean and always make sure I can see a bit of rib so I would never be trying to make her fat, she is a tad too lean though, even having wolfy in her, you can clearly see all her ribs and then her belly sticking out below them! So I don't think she needs to put much on to be right but just a little, the sort that will naturally go on and stabilise with some good quality food I think.

Each to their own but I could abort this late in the pregnancy.

During the last 3 weeks I give my girls 3 small meals a day & leave puppy dry out all the time. Canned food, home cooked stew, some egg or fish sometimes & a sprinkle of grated cheese on one meal. If the dog is lean & hasn't been particularly well nourished I wouldn't worry about her getting too fat during pregnancy, its more important that she is well nourished & she is hardly likely to suffer great obesity at this stage.

Any excess fat will soon go when she is feeding puppies & running around playing with them all over the place in a few short weeks.

I would be more worried about her being thin, stressed with all the moving, strange people & messing about & not eating. Fat is the least of the worries.

Hope all works out well for her & the puppies.