Desexing An Older Bitch

I wasn't sure what to put in the title to be honest but hopefully I can explain more here.

My sister has a husky/shep cross who will be 11 next month. She was never desexed for reasons clear to my sister (not so clear to me who has to mop the floors and wash the bedding when she is in season). This dog has been in great health till last year when she had a series of non-cancerous growths on one eye that required four rounds of surgery to cut out. About six months ago we had some dementia indicating behavioural changes and she went on Vivitonin. Last night she had difficulty getting up and walking so my sister took her to the vet first thing this morning. She saw what I consider to be the second vet option at the surgery. He is good but I prefer my holistic vet who I have been using for decades.

He did xrays, blood tests and a full exam on the dog. She has age related arthritis but he discovered her white blood cells were up and that she had a pussy (sp?) discharge from her vagina. The xrays didn't show up anything to worry about organ or growths wise and he has given her antibiotics for the discharge/infection. She has a very hairy bottom and has not long finished her last season so I am really surprised we didn't notice anything. She has always drunk a lot and her toileting habits have not changed so we didn't pick anything up that way either.

The vet has advised my sister that it might be better to desex her even at this age. He said that she could now become prone to age related UTIs and serious infections requiring surgery that could be far more difficult to treat because she has not been desexed. I have always desexed my dogs so have never heard of the dangers of not desexing in old age. I did a google and it mentions the possibility of mammary tumours but from what my sister took from the vet he was referring to infections in the sex organs. She is a bit distressed about all this and has asked me to post on here for her for advice/experiences from others. Neither of us want to be desexing an 11 year old large breed bitch but I also wouldn't want her susceptible to something that could be worse.

What do others think? I've already said we will get a second opinion before doing anything more than treating the current infection (have another excellent vet in mind). And what happens with second consults? I've never needed one before. Can the second vet ask for and obtain all the lab and test results and case notes done by the first vet or should we ask for that and take it with us? The vet my sister has seen today will not be upset about us getting other advice.

Thoughts? Experiences? I was only joking during her last season that surely it was time for menopause but I guess dogs are like cats and they can technically breed until the day they die?

Rebanne would that remove the risk of pyometra? I know there is a link to seasons so I'm assuming no season, less chance of pyometra?

Just saw a study that said it is not recommended for use in older dogs but it is still something we can talk to the vets about further in case there is another option.

Edited by Little Gifts

If the bitch does have a yucky discharge ..she may have a open cervix pyometra- low grade? This means AFAIK that the infection is there .. and perhaps because everything was 'open' due to her season ... the muck can drain away ....

pyo is nasty.

We have had a mature bitch desexed - but she wasn't 11 .... she was fine , but cleaning her vulva a lot .. I looked , saw the muck, and rang the vet . She was speyed immediately.

I would probably desex her, even at 11. I don't routinely desex but I think the risk of ongoing infections now she has started down that path might be worth it. I did once desex an older shepherd bitch with an ovarian issue and she came through very well. I would run bloods first, have fluids during the op, and make sure the vet was competent with anaesthesia. But if in doubt, get a second opinion.

Reading the post again ..seeing she had trouble walking ...

provided her heart and lungs are fine - and the vet is good .. I would be getting her speyed asap. IF it is pyo - the exact antibiotic regime is needed to completely knock it ....and it is continually releasing infection into teh body ....

We've desexed lots of older females and males.

With pre-op bloods, fluids and pain relief, antibiotics when prescribed (a dental as well because most have feral teeth). Only one dog got into trouble on the operating table having a routine desex (no infection), the surgery was halted and she was fine afterwards.

Just incredibly unlucky I suppose but we rescued 6 pyo bitches in a row :( poor little ladies.

Edited by Powerlegs

Thanks for the advice everyone. Full blood test results come back tomorrow but the xray did not show evidence of pyo yet so I think that is a good sign, early stages and all that. I think my sister will do the antibiotics and talk to the vet in more detail about future treatment needed. I know it is the anaesthetic side of things that worries her most but her dog came out of the surgeries last year really well and overall she is a healthy and active dog with good appetite and healing abilities. This vet is pretty good too and he keeps himself very current on treatment options. He just rang back before as he had consulted my vet about homeopathic options and has now given my sister three different options to treat/manage the arthritis, as well as a list of supplements that should assist and where she can buy them. I think he knew she was overwhelmed during the consult.

I've had to remind her that this is what life can be like when your dog gets into those later years and it doesn't help your dog to put on your worry wart hat and throw your hands up in despair. She is good with people and health crises but when it comes to her dog she wants to crawl into a ball and make it go away. I'm going to see if she will let me come to future appointments so at least one of us asks the right questions. I've spent all morning googling and bookmarking info for her to read and if she wasn't home I would've just rung the vet and asked him for the skinny behind her back! She wouldn't mind. Plus I do most of the feeding and walking and will need to know what medication or supplements she is on and what exercise restrictions are in place. :D

I'm about to have a 10 year old bitch spayed - wish I'd had her done years ago but kept putting it off :( She's started having abnormal season which increases her pyo risk. Bloods were good so once her current season is over she'll be done. I'm very worried though the vets assure me she should be fine.

Best of luck with your sisters dog

ETA I had an 8 year old bitch spayed last year and she was absolutely fine. I requested fluids for her, she was pretty sad the night after she was done but back to normal the next day. I reckon she even coped better than some of the young ones I've had done!

Edited by ish

Relatives recently had a 13 year old bitch speyed after a week of misdiagnosis and her being very sick - was a closed Pyo. (lets no go there on my thoughts on the vet they were going to). Desexing saved her life (after them spending thousands of dollars on testing and hospital stays and emergency vet etc.... again lets not go there). She is a happy healthy old lady now thank goodness and once the operation was done, her recovery was fairly quick.

Agree that fluids is a good idea for an older dog.

Not speying but Mac had emergency surgery for laryngeal paralysis at 14 with a GA - he came through with flying colours. If your bitch is otherwise healthy (I'd run the pre-op bloods to check), then she should come through the surgery and GA fine.

ETA : yes make sure they give her plenty of fluids if you decide to go ahead.

Edited by westiemum

As HazyWal and Powerlegs have said: lots of older dogs come into rescue and are desexed. I've had a couple of males that I haven't had desexed because they were too old, but if health permits and points to the need, then it is done.

I am sure that anyone who has rescued for even a short while would have many stories of such events.

I'm glad you are getting second opinions. Vets, as with any profession, come in all sorts and all ranges capabilities and interest: good, bad, excellent, mediocre, etc etc.

The best vet is one with an enquiring mind and whose enthusiasm for the craft never palls.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this up to add that my 10 year old GSD was spayed on Tuesday and was absolutely fine. She has extra fluids as suggested and quite honestly from the minute I picked her up she was good as gold. Certainly nothing as traumatic as my imagination had suggested! Pleased it's done and one less thing to worry about

With the last two older females I rescued from the pound, one had Pyometra and the other had massive cysts on her ovaries that were about to burst.

It is a regular experience as I take older dogs. I've known many a dog not to get desexed in time, get pyometra and by the time the owner has noticed, they end up with a big vet bill and sometimes a deceased dog that has suffered unnecessarily.

I've also gotten a rescue Shepherd cross just too late - the ovarian cancer that was removed during desexing had spread and killed her after a few months which included a couple more surgeries which tried to save her. It was a needless loss of a dog that I adored.

I know that on this forum my opinion is not popular in some quarters however it is based on over 10 years of solid rescue experience. I won't rehome an undesexed dog of any age so that they are not at risk and I won't be changing the way I operate - ever.

If the dog is otherwise in good health and you want her speyed, why not? Pyo is not pretty and can kill quickly if you aren't aware of what to look for in the way of symptoms... amongst other things...

I like my girls all desexed... if only for the cleanliness factor of not having bleeding dogs every few months - not to mention the moodiness or tartiness some display when they are in season... *sigh*

T.

Antibiotics or no antibiotics, that infection is very, very likely to recur.

I understand your sister's reluctance to have a senior dog undergo surgery, but I would vote for it being necessary surgery, because it is better done to a healthy bitch at age 11 than in an emergency (closed pyo flares FAST and is life-threatening) on a very sick bitch at age 14 or 15. frown.gif

It is a sword of Damocles dangling over the poor dog's head. I hope your sister does decide to proceed with the spey surgery, and soon.

Bumping this up to add that my 10 year old GSD was spayed on Tuesday and was absolutely fine. She has extra fluids as suggested and quite honestly from the minute I picked her up she was good as gold. Certainly nothing as traumatic as my imagination had suggested! Pleased it's done and one less thing to worry about

Glad it all went well ish :thumbsup:

Excellent news Ish!

The tests for my sister's dog all came back clear for pyo but she did have some kind of infection and had horse seized antibiotics for what seemed like months! She will be having monthly urine tests for a bit and I've also suggested to my sister to give her a vaginal swab every couple of weeks to check for any coloured discharge as an early indicator of something amiss. I am still leaning towards desexing or options to stop the seasons (which I think could reduce the pyo risk) and at the first sign of anything new happening I will be pushing my sister harder towards more serious discussions with her vet. They are in the midst of dealing with some arthritis and mobility problems for the same dog right now so she is at the vet weekly at present anyway.

Edited by Little Gifts