Meet Albert

RiverStar-Aura

I know right. One of the ladies at work was telling me about the story and all I thought was "yep. Typical owners getting a completely unsuitable breed and then expecting the pup to be fine when left to roam the house alone". And when she told me they were getting a second pup to keep Albert company ...

The mind boggles :eek:

I don't think they're idiots. They obviously love their dog very much. Many owners would not keep a dog like that! Yes they perhaps should not have left him inside unattended, but surely its better than locking him outside 24/7? Sounds like he gets bored easily and has some interesting ways to entertain himself. As for poor dog - why? Looks to be that he has a pretty cruisy life. I think you guys are being very harsh.

My GSP x is a destructo dog too and even at almost 12yo he still likes to destroy stuff.

Edited by *kirty*

I don't think they're idiots. They obviously love their dog very much. Many owners would not keep a dog like that! Yes they perhaps should not have left him inside unattended, but surely its better than locking him outside 24/7? Sounds like he gets bored easily and has some interesting ways to entertain himself. As for poor dog - why? Looks to be that he has a pretty cruisy life. I think you guys are being very harsh.

My GSP x is a destructo dog too and even at almost 12yo he still likes to destroy stuff.

Gotta agree with this. Quinn's done plenty of destructo damage to my stuff in the name of curiosity and entertainment, she's perfectly happy and I've learnt that I have to be careful what she has access to if I don't want stuff wrecked :shrug:

I agree with this. he is obviously loved. but i feel maybe he should have been managed a little better. Or at least earlier.

its not just bad for them, it could be dangerous for the dog.

Maybe a friend will help. But still only if theyre trained a bit..

Stan is a destructo dog as well and aims for the expensive electrical items like fridges and more recently trashing the door on my new freezer. I had gone to the shops for about half an hour so can't say he was bored.

He is almost 6 and definately not an active dog, he likes to sleep, eat and in his spare time trash things.

When my old lab Sam was just a pup and his molars were coming through he ate the foundation poles of our veranda railing one day. One side fell down by itself as soon as we got home, we just kicked the rest to make it come down.

This is despite plenty of chew toys, exercise morning and afternoon, mental stimulation and in general being quite a lazy dog. I think some dogs just like to destroy stuff.

Nova on the other hand is a working breed adolescent and is a comparative angel. I've been able to leave him in the lounger open plan lounge room/hall/kitchen/dining area alone since he was around 4-5 months old. Only thing he destroys is his own toys and thats just to get the squeaker out. I lock him out of bedrooms alone because he likes to steal socks and undies, otherwise I would trust him in there too.

I've got a Toy Poodle foster that has chomped down on my fence and loosened panels due to separation anxiety!!

I would not have been fostering her but the original foster carer couldn't continue due to family drama, they were home most of the day and there wasn't an issue. I work and obviously am not suitable for this dog but she has nowhere else to go ...