Treats That Are Good But Not T O O Good

kelpiecuddles

Just wondering whether those who have dogs who are a little food crazy would share what they use as training treats. If we use something really awesome like real meat or liver treats she gets so excited that she forgets what you are asking her to do LOL. I need to lower the treat value to the level of 'yes I still really want what you have but it's just exciting enough that i'll keep on task' :laugh:

My Fauve is still working for Duck Tenders, he has been doing it for months, I recon that's pretty dam good for a hound.

But I have to say, we get near a show ring all bets are off and the nose goes down and he wants whatever everyone else has.

edited to say he is 6 months so VERY changeable.

Edited by gillybob

My everyday training treat is cat kibble...enticing smell, very small pieces, won't leave mess on your fingers or in your pocket or pouch.

Alternatively, withold the treat until you get either focus or the dog offering heaps of behaviours trying to figure out what you want. Sometimes you are better, rather than dialling down thhe level of drive, to encourage focus in drive.

I have been guilty in the past of reinforcing over the top slavering rather than than trying to switch on the dog's brain. Of course it is an easier way to get the reward than actually focusing so I was just making a rod for my own back.

These days if they are way off focus, the treat goes back in the pouch and I will substitute a different command, a really basic one such as "sit" "drop" or "speak" and reward with praise and pats and then put the session on hold for at least 10 minutes.

Edited for typo..

Edited by RuralPug

Carrot or dried sweat potato if I want them calm but need to lure something. i.e. for their physio sessions where I specifically don't want them to be in drive because I need them to physically be relaxed.

I am with RP for focusing while they are blowing out their brains with treats. They can certainly still work when food crazy even when i need stationary positions.

Dry food or carrot would be my suggestions but it really depends on the dog. I also love asking for self control when using high value treats....training 2 dogs means that a little training envy develops so they think EVERYTHING is high value. It also means I can build on that - especially with Em where nothing beats live or dead game as a reward and I need her to whistle sit on a dime and handle away from the desired reward or through a more difficult path to the reward at distances of up to 150 m. She's learnt impulse control on food rewards and that transfers surprisingly well.

I've recently been using dried devon for day to day treats, at the park etc. Because it's not fresh the value isn't as high plus it lasts for ages. I slice up a whole heap into little squares and stick them in the oven on low for about a hour

Thanks guys, if it's too high value we get drool everywhere :laugh:

She's very focused on whatever her nose wants to do so it needs to be enough to keep her interest but she needs to be calm as Iwant my son to be easily able to use them without her trying to take his hand off to get the treat LOL.

We'll try the dried sweet potato and see how that goes :)