No Pain....

Dame Aussie

It's actually a bit of both. When dogs are in prey drive and giving chase, areas of the brain actually shut down and all focus redirects to focus on hunting.

So things like pain reception and hearing may not be functioning as well as usual.

Mind you, some dogs seem to have absolutely no concept of self preservation and will fling themselves wholly into what they're doing. My youngest is like this - shredded the pads on all four feet at a big dog play date not long ago. Limped around unless there was a chase on in which case he was in it!

our cocker spaniel is the complete opposite, he is the biggest sook and will even put it on for attention.

My tibbie girl, Annie, believes that her pain must get attention. She had a sickening tumble down the stairs. Then couldn't put her weight on one front leg. She was also hunched as if her back hurt terribly. The eyes said it all, 'I am suffering.'

Rushed her to the vet who also noted the same behaviour with the leg & back. Couldn't find an actual sore spot, tho'. Prescribed medication... & I was to bring her back next day if no improvement.

When we got home, I put her carefully on the grass, in case she wanted to go to the toilet. Then she spotted her best friends, the racing greyhounds at the back, gathered at the fenceline. She took off like a rocket to join them... & have her usual run. No limp, no hunched back ...

Edited by mita

HANKODIE. HAHAHA.

EVERY TIME YOU CRACK ME UP.

I have lost count of these incidences. I've also thought Gus would drown before when 'retrieving' me old bottles from the bottom of the creek. He stays under for far too.long and comes up spluttering and grinning.

Sprocket, my first Labbie, loved playing fetch with a tennis ball. I used to hit balls with a tennis racket for her. We were in a park and a boy, about 12 yrs, took over the job of hitting balls. He missed and got Sprocket full swing hard in the face. I thought that would put her off. Not at all. Her tail kept going as to say: "Stop goofing around, you. Hit the ball."

They can be lucky or not with these types of accidents. I know plenty of BCs that have run head first into things while playing, without seeming to notice but I also know of one with permanent neck damage and sadly last year one I heard of one who died from hitting a door head first. My JS very nearly knocked himself out hitting the clothes line pole. He is normally good at dodging stuff while doing zoomies but was playing with another dog, spun round and whacked the side of his head hard enough to make him stagger with unfocused eyes. He recovered ok but very nearly did some serious damage.

Breed does make a difference and the heavier the head and neck the more resilient they are to accidents that could kill other breeds but neck damage can still be an issue that is missed by the owner.

They can be lucky or not with these types of accidents. I know plenty of BCs that have run head first into things while playing, without seeming to notice but I also know of one with permanent neck damage and sadly last year one I heard of one who died from hitting a door head first. My JS very nearly knocked himself out hitting the clothes line pole. He is normally good at dodging stuff while doing zoomies but was playing with another dog, spun round and whacked the side of his head hard enough to make him stagger with unfocused eyes. He recovered ok but very nearly did some serious damage.

Breed does make a difference and the heavier the head and neck the more resilient they are to accidents that could kill other breeds but neck damage can still be an issue that is missed by the owner.

Broken necks have ended more than a few Whippets' lives :(

Our latest incident was Nixon having a head collision last night with another dog - they were both going for the same ball and looking up. I think he must have had the other dog's tooth go into his top lip, and it was bleeding quite a lot. So I was mopping his face with a tissue and he kept shaking me off so he could keep playing. He is always whacking his head into things.

My sister's Rhodesian ridgeback was chasing a bird and ran into a pole at full speed - she ended up having to be put down I think :( Can't remember the exact injuries, but it wasn't good.

For most of his formative puppy years Gus couldn't work out when the glass door was shut or open, but just yesterday I dropped a hot bit of chorizo out of the pan and he was in there like a shot and down it went. I was mortified, last I saw he was asleep under the air con.

Funny how fast he can move for food, yet when I say 'outside' before work, you'd think he was 100. He dithers along and has to pick a toy and make sure Rosie's gone out first, then have a drink, then one last pleading look...anyway. Hahah!

Our latest incident was Nixon having a head collision last night with another dog - they were both going for the same ball and looking up. I think he must have had the other dog's tooth go into his top lip, and it was bleeding quite a lot. So I was mopping his face with a tissue and he kept shaking me off so he could keep playing. He is always whacking his head into things.

My sister's Rhodesian ridgeback was chasing a bird and ran into a pole at full speed - she ended up having to be put down I think :( Can't remember the exact injuries, but it wasn't good.

I heard of a similar incident where a papillon was chasing a bird and ran straight into a brick wall. The poor little dog suffered a broken neck and didn't survive. :(

I'm pretty sure Harley's cause of death is going to be bleeding on the brain. Without fail, at least 4 times a day he has his head in between two railings on the balcony so he can look at the goats. Fly buzzes past, he snaps at it, whacking the top of his skull on the railing above him.

You'd think he'd learn!

Mum's dog Jack on the other hand, biggest sook known to man. He's had a couple of surgeries recently (cruciate and then some lumps removed), and both times the vet has said he's the whiniest dog in the clinic. If he does something wrong at home and gets reprimanded, he starts limping, like "ooh, you yelled at me so hard you hurt my leg!!!"

I have found if I pick my feet up higher than usual - to step over things - I usually get my dog, whose nose was close to the back of my knee in the face. She doesn't seem bothered.

Yes, Lili follows me around right behind my feet and I often kick her in the chin (do dogs have chins??) without even knowing she was there!

I'm pretty sure Harley's cause of death is going to be bleeding on the brain. Without fail, at least 4 times a day he has his head in between two railings on the balcony so he can look at the goats. Fly buzzes past, he snaps at it, whacking the top of his skull on the railing above him.

You'd think he'd learn!

Mum's dog Jack on the other hand, biggest sook known to man. He's had a couple of surgeries recently (cruciate and then some lumps removed), and both times the vet has said he's the whiniest dog in the clinic. If he does something wrong at home and gets reprimanded, he starts limping, like "ooh, you yelled at me so hard you hurt my leg!!!"

:rofl::rofl:

Jonah and Askari were hooning around and Askari pretty much shoulder charged Jonah into the wooden fence making a very loud noise and shaking the fence. Jonah didn't even twitch and the hooning continued. Askari on the other hand is a sook and will screech and yelp he nearly knocked himself out at the dog bark by running full tilt into a concrete bench removing both eye brows and the screeching was hideous.