Help With Pup With Diarrhea Please.......

JustUs

Thanks for that info on the anti histamine. Will print and put in his file now, I had seen it somewhere before but the vet was adamant that she couldn't give me a dosage as they weren't tested for dogs. I will also only feed him human grade food now Staffyluv :)

I have been giving him some Yukult also but about to go and make him some unsweetened easi yo as he loves mine but I make it with Splenda so didn't want to give him more than a little taste.

I hope your pup doesn't have Dermodex either Staff'n'Toller .....these puppies may be cute but they can be a worry too.

In regards to the 3rd vaccination, I was under the impression that it was just a safe guard in case they still had Mums antibodies in their system when they had the first vaccination?

So now the the Titre shows that he is covered then the 3rd would just be over immunising him, do you not think that's the case minimax?

Will talk to the new vet about it anyway, the one we have been seeing is still very pro yearly vacs but when I questioned why the only answer she gave was that she had researched the info the Drug Companies supplied etc and that's why they recommend yearly, didn't really explain a lot.

Thanks so much for all of your help today, I really appreciate it :)

Thanks for that info on the anti histamine. Will print and put in his file now, I had seen it somewhere before but the vet was adamant that she couldn't give me a dosage as they weren't tested for dogs. I will also only feed him human grade food now Staffyluv :)

I have been giving him some Yukult also but about to go and make him some unsweetened easi yo as he loves mine but I make it with Splenda so didn't want to give him more than a little taste.

I hope your pup doesn't have Dermodex either Staff'n'Toller .....these puppies may be cute but they can be a worry too.

In regards to the 3rd vaccination, I was under the impression that it was just a safe guard in case they still had Mums antibodies in their system when they had the first vaccination?

So now the the Titre shows that he is covered then the 3rd would just be over immunising him, do you not think that's the case minimax?

Will talk to the new vet about it anyway, the one we have been seeing is still very pro yearly vacs but when I questioned why the only answer she gave was that she had researched the info the Drug Companies supplied etc and that's why they recommend yearly, didn't really explain a lot.

Thanks so much for all of your help today, I really appreciate it :)

If he likes the yoghurt a bit sweeter, you could always add a bit of Manuka honey (from the health store, get the 30+) - it has great health improving properties and can be used for if they are feeling unwell (a bit of honey in their water) and on cuts, a little bit on a cut. It is really good for digestion as well..

You're welcome for the advice, that is why we are all here - to learn from each other.

The point of the vaccine schedule is to create immune memory, not just a short term flood of antibodies. To titre test a pup that young so close to a vaccine is quite useless as he will show antibodies. Finish the course, give him a booster at 12 months after the last then titre test 12 months after that one to see if he has immune memory. The body creates cells that lay dormant after a big enough immune response which give the immune memory. When the body comes across the same pathogen again down the track these cells come into play and pump out those specific antibodies. If the immune response has not been sufficient you do not have these cells created and hence your dog is technically not covered. It's why dogs with unknown vaccination status are recommended to get two vaccines a month apart. And yes, the first vaccine is pretty much a write off due to maternal antibodies but it needs to be done.

If your pup is having that many problems at such a young age I would be contacting the breeder. As for the loose stools, you reintroduced rich food way too fast for his tum and thats why it reoccured.

The point of the vaccine schedule is to create immune memory, not just a short term flood of antibodies. To titre test a pup that young so close to a vaccine is quite useless as he will show antibodies. Finish the course, give him a booster at 12 months after the last then titre test 12 months after that one to see if he has immune memory. The body creates cells that lay dormant after a big enough immune response which give the immune memory. When the body comes across the same pathogen again down the track these cells come into play and pump out those specific antibodies. If the immune response has not been sufficient you do not have these cells created and hence your dog is technically not covered. It's why dogs with unknown vaccination status are recommended to get two vaccines a month apart. And yes, the first vaccine is pretty much a write off due to maternal antibodies but it needs to be done.

If your pup is having that many problems at such a young age I would be contacting the breeder. As for the loose stools, you reintroduced rich food way too fast for his tum and thats why it reoccured.

I agree and still do 6/10/14-16 week vaccines and the 15mth following the WSAVA/Dodds protocol.

However..

This pup has not been cleared for localised or generalised mange and is clearly going through an itchy period where an extra immune challenge may not be advised. I think the OP really needs to get those scrapes done first as a worsening of demodex can cause a world of problems at this stage.

Hi again,

Firstly I had a brain dead moment the other day and it was actually Wednesday night that he first got ill, so fasted Thurs then only Chicken and Rice all day Fri and then re introduced the other foods from Saturday.......I was thinking I was such an idiot for adding foods back so quickly but I was just sleep deprived ( daughter had also been unwell.....there is no way I could cope with a newborn skin baby these days!)

Manukau honey purchased and he is loving a little yoghurt each day, still only on chicken and rice with no sign of any bowel probs for now, so I will continue for another couple of days then slowly slowly add back in some real food, poor boy is looking a little skinny.

With the skin issue, it's really not bad we just need to be careful with things like shampoo etc, but as it started immediately after the c5 I'm convinced that the vaccine upset him. The thinning patches are completely gone and he is shiny and lovely without any dog smell ( I love nothing better than cuddles on the floor with my face buried into his side, he smells so good)

He still scratches a bit but then I guess all dogs must to some degree, but if I bathed him in his whitening shampoo then he comes out red. Where the same shampoo caused no issues in the 2 weeks we had him prior to the c5.

Now I'm stressing about getting the c3 that's due or trusting the titre results. The Vet said as long as he shows anti bodies then he doesn't need it, but as I said before I'm not filled with confidence in the Clinic we chose.

I can't get him an appointment at the new clinic with the vet I want till next week, so I guess I will wait and see what they say in regards to the c3 and getting scrapes done also.

Poor boy is also teething so maybe that is affecting him too, he isn't coping all that well with it and really missing using tugs as a reward.

I really do appreciate all the knowledge shared here, dog training and care is so much easier now we have access to the Internet and the collective wisdom and experience that you guys are willing to share :)

I don't understand why you are denying him tug toys or chew items for teething. There are toys you can freeze, he can chew on safely which do not require he digest anything so are safe for him. Nylabone are tough and under supervision should be safe for him to ease his mouth.

I'm not denying him them but when we tug he can't hold it properly and gets frustrated as it hurts :(

We are still having little tugs, but he has awesome prey drive and wants to really get into it and can't, he still loves playing with the prey toy on a rope but he tends to get too over stimulated with it so not good for training sessions, just to let off some steam :)

He has Nylabones, Kongs ( soft and harder ) and heaps of other chew toys and is loving face washers that have been in the freezer, so he is doing ok but just missing a good game of tug, as am I.

Ps I just looked up from writing this post and he was laying there with a Nylabone Wolf Chew, a Kong Throw Stick and the soft Kong Fetch toy ( the soft tree camo one) all in front of his legs trying to decide which one to chew on...definitely not a toy deprived boy!

Edited by jaxxie

I've seen teething pups get sloppy poop... not really all that different from human babies really.

As for shampoo - how often are you bathing him? Unless he gets putrid really fast, he doesn't need bathing with shampoo all that regularly - but if you are insistent on regular bathing, maybe try using something less astringent than whitening shampoo on him - like Aloveen.

I had a dog a while back that was actually allergic to beef - so chicken, turkey, or lamb was all she was allowed. No issues with skin or sloppy poops once we worked that fact out... lol!

I tend to only feed my dogs chicken or lamb based foods nowadays.

T.

I got the same info in re to bullbreeds with allergies specifically if they have large amounts of or are entirely white.

My Vinnie is white with a few tan spots on his ears and has a contact allergy with grass. Poor muppet was scratching till he bled. I give him phenergan at breakfast and dinner, I wash him in oats every 2-3 days. If he's scratching a bit more than normal I'll rinse him down to get anything off him and it settles him.

He also loves a frozen facewasher and his narnie. Narnie is this weird banana toy with rope arms/legs/hair I got from coles.

I've seen teething pups get sloppy poop... not really all that different from human babies really.

As for shampoo - how often are you bathing him? Unless he gets putrid really fast, he doesn't need bathing with shampoo all that regularly - but if you are insistent on regular bathing, maybe try using something less astringent than whitening shampoo on him - like Aloveen.

I had a dog a while back that was actually allergic to beef - so chicken, turkey, or lamb was all she was allowed. No issues with skin or sloppy poops once we worked that fact out... lol!

I tend to only feed my dogs chicken or lamb based foods nowadays.

T.

Hi tdierkx :)

Not bathing him often now, we did at the beginning as our last boy was a nightmare to bath so we were trying to get him used to it to avoid problems again.

Now we are just doing as required, which isn't often and using QV wash now. I miss how white he used to go with the whitening shampoo but then it was more pink than white so sort of defeated the purpose.

I bet you were very glad when you finally figured out the Beef was the trigger, it's not much fun hosing the grass after every poop!

I got the same info in re to bullbreeds with allergies specifically if they have large amounts of or are entirely white.

My Vinnie is white with a few tan spots on his ears and has a contact allergy with grass. Poor muppet was scratching till he bled. I give him phenergan at breakfast and dinner, I wash him in oats every 2-3 days. If he's scratching a bit more than normal I'll rinse him down to get anything off him and it settles him.

He also loves a frozen facewasher and his narnie. Narnie is this weird banana toy with rope arms/legs/hair I got from coles.

Do you find that the Phenergan knocks your boy out? I know I'm a zombie if I take it......

Glad you found something that works.

Your boy looks gorgeous :)

Hi tdierkx :)

Not bathing him often now, we did at the beginning as our last boy was a nightmare to bath so we were trying to get him used to it to avoid problems again.

Now we are just doing as required, which isn't often and using QV wash now. I miss how white he used to go with the whitening shampoo but then it was more pink than white so sort of defeated the purpose.

I bet you were very glad when you finally figured out the Beef was the trigger, it's not much fun hosing the grass after every poop!

What happened to the other dog? I'm just curious because I see you had another blue Staffy a few years ago and you only seem to have the one puppy now?

Thats not quite true. We only give three shots and the 12mth shot to catch out puppies who did not respond to the initial vaccine, none of them are 'boosters'. So in theory you can give one vaccine, test 2 weeks later and if they have a positive result not give the remainder of the 'boosters' and test again 12mths later. I have had dogs vaccinated only twice as pups (8 and 12weeks) and have titres and they have not needed to be revaccinated- they are currently 3 because they correctly responded to the 12week vaccine and have since had natural exposure. Further low titre levels are actually hard to interpret- are they low because the dog does not have a strong immune response or because they have not been recently exposed.

I recommend a vaccine after 14weeks- which is how I would do future dogs but if a pup has a bad reaction than titre testing is valid even at this age.

This is for the core vaccines, not kennel cough.

I got the same info in re to bullbreeds with allergies specifically if they have large amounts of or are entirely white.My Vinnie is white with a few tan spots on his ears and has a contact allergy with grass. Poor muppet was scratching till he bled. I give him phenergan at breakfast and dinner, I wash him in oats every 2-3 days. If he's scratching a bit more than normal I'll rinse him down to get anything off him and it settles him.He also loves a frozen facewasher and his narnie. Narnie is this weird banana toy with rope arms/legs/hair I got from coles.
Do you find that the Phenergan knocks your boy out? I know I'm a zombie if I take it......Glad you found something that works.Your boy looks gorgeous :)

Nope. He only gets 1/4 tablet in the morning and night. He always has a nap after breakfast and he gets it before bed. If it makes him drowsy it wouldn't matter as he sleeps at those times anyway.

He's pretty hyper so my vet advised against anything else for the time being. She said to watch him as phenergan can make them more hyper but he's fine.